Controceptives in school : A Debate | Teen Ink

Controceptives in school : A Debate

By MaBox BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
MaBox BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Live.Love.Laugh

750,000. That’s how many teenage pregnancies occur every year. This is a problem that can be corrected if schools hand out birth control. Many people fear that if schools hand out birth control, it would encourage students have sex. “Less then one percent of middle schools, and nearly 5 percent of high schools make condoms available to students” says spokeswoman Divya Mohan of the National Assembly of School-Based Health Care. “About one in four of those provide condoms, other contraceptives, prescriptions or referrals” Mohan said.
I do believe, however, that there needs to be a restriction on the students who can receive the birth control. I do not think that middle school students need any birth control, and that it should be restricted to high school’s only. Teenage pregnancy has been a rising problem, that can be controlled with proper precautions. I don’t think that any student should be having sex in high school, but if you are going to have sex, you need the proper precautions.
I asked my fellow classmates about what they think is the right thing to do when it comes to birth control, one said “I think if it is helping out a student who cannot afford birth control for themselves”. Another stated that they think it is a bad idea because it might influence other students to have sex.
Like I have stated before, teenage pregnancy is on the rise, and if this method of getting birth control from school helps prevent it, I think it would be an excellent idea. Teenage pregnancy is 100% preventable. “67% of American’s feel okay with schools handing out contraceptives in schools”,according to the Associated Press-lpsos poll.

ForeverFaith PLATINUM, Dansville, New York

"so this is how liberty dies, with a thunderous applause" -unknown

thid hits close to home. no one will ever really knwo how DANGEROUS teen pregnancy can be. my friend almost died from teen oregnancy. she had severe preaclampsia and she lost so much blood during her c-section that it took them 4 hours to stop the bleeding. she wsa rushed to the icu right after. she now had a leaky heart valve and is at risk of going into cardiac arrest at any time. the father isnt in their life and says he wishes they would die. she was at the tender age of 14 when she had owwen. luckily she has friends and family to help her and give her support. i love the kid to death and im the god mother to him, but i wish she would have waited

edward_davis said...
on May. 31 2010 at 3:59 am
One way to minimize such a problem is by addressing the causes and by creating programs which would ultimately lead to teenage pregnancy prevention. The question of whether these programs should focus on abstinence or sex education that focuses on contraceptives is a cause of debates among organizations. Either way, the main goal is to prevent unwanted pregnancy among teens. Those who believe that abstinence is the key to teenage pregnancy prevention focus on the social and psychological issues. They believe that these issues push these teens into indulging in sexual activities.  Advocates of sex education believe that sexual intercourse is part of human nature. And thus, it can not be avoided. That’s why instead of aiming for abstinence they would rather go for education. These advocates suppose that most pregnancies among adolescents are the product of ignorance. Teens are not equipped with the proper knowledge and wisdom when faced with relational decisions. They do not consider the consequences because they take it lightly. That’s why the first step to teenage pregnancy prevention is through education. It’s vital that they understand the weight and the repercussions of their actions when making decisions