Drinking Age Lowered??

How old are you? If you are under 21, do you think that drinking should be lowered to 18? Although it is known that it is illegal to drink under 21, it is a theory. In 1984 the National Minimum Drinking Age Act was signed, therefore it required all states to increase purchase and public possession alcohol use to age 21. Even though it was signed and put to date, many states declared that it should be lowered to 18. The majority of the states were against lowering it but research with people from the ages 12-21 drink more than the ones older than 21. People lower than 21 can be risk-takers but will always have a limit or alcohol.

Public Possession can mean that your are drinking under a religious purpose or something special to do it but under a legal guardians permission and company. It can also refer to drinking in private clubs or bars but without permission. However, if it is with your parents knowing that you are drinking alcohol it is fine but not a very young age. This leads to the U.S. Government lowering the minimum drinking age to 18. Agreeing with: "The problem of identifying the optimum minimum drinking age to reduce alcohol abuse is a serious one. It involves issues of freedom, responsibility, parental rights, religion, politics, and many other realms of life." This mixes with my position because if parents want their children to be delighted they should give them more freedom since they are not little children that are irresponsible. During teenage times, they start becoming responsible for their actions and steps in life. The change is more than 80% finished when they turn 18 since they have more rights for their country. From 18 and on being responsible for your actions and responsibilities grows more.

The debate is not only going on now but it started since teens started to get more rebel, which started in the 1970's. Even though the U.S. is a country that works together, every state decides on their own regulations. This leads to having an election in every sate to whether or not to decrease the minimum drinking age. Every citizen in the U.S. is equal and has the right to vote and if they do win the election, that state should accept it. Different countries throughout the world have different laws however, it is unfair how other countries can drink at least from 18 years old and we have to wait three more years. Once again, at 18 men and woman are entering adulthood and are old enough to vote, get married, adopt children, purchase firearms, and defend country by going to war. These are all actions that show that you are responsible and state that you can be responsible in drinking limits. On the other hand, during the Vietnam War, 29 states lowered drinking age to 18 but after that, it went back to 21. This should be a case to think about putting on as an election for the year 2010.

It is too early for Middle school students to be thinking about drinking but time goes by fast and we will turn 18 at any time and want to drink. However, it is more difficult for the ones in college since the majority are younger than 21 and cant drink; it is also because of more parties and not drinking is something that takes away the fun. However, if drinking is legal in the public it can be supervised by the police, security guards, and people who are responsible for others' safety. Many colleges have many reunions that do offer alcohol but its under the students responsibility. "If there were an 18- or 19-year-old drinking age, we could address the issues more favorably," says Dartmouth College President James Wright. As it is, "we can't go around sniffing students' breath or smelling their cups." Besides, it is violating the students amendments towards their own actions. Legal drinking age should be lowered to at least 18 and they should be allowed to drink with a responsible adults supervision or under college/university school grounds. The law to minimum drinking age of 21 is not being followed so, the nation has in mind, to change the law to a younger minimum age.

In conclusion, every citizen in America has the right to vote, this leads to having them vote for or against increasing the minimum drinking age. Even though the U.S. has a law to drinking, citizens are not following it. Besides that, it is the person's decision of what to do and how to respond to its own actions. Risk-takers from 18 to 21 are not harmful but are more settled in their responsibilities, actions, and they mature.

iamMonica said...
May 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm:
I think regardless of the age limit, people are still going to drink alcohol. It's against the law to smoke weed and about half the kids in my school has already smoked it, I'm not saying that that's right but I'm just saying nobody really cares about the laws. They shouldn't make the drinking limit higher because even if the brain isn't developed, who are you to tell me that I can't drink alcohol, wether it be just a sip or a glass? If people want to screw up their head, let it be their choice.... (more »)

lovetowrite22This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think that the legal age should be increased to 23, because research has shown that the brain hasn't fully developed until that age. Not only that, but kids will have graduated from college by then and have been on their own for some time, so they have matured. As of right now, the punishment for people who are under 21 and are in possession of alcohol unless under specific circumstances (as you said in your article) should get stricter, because obviously they aren't stopping kids from drinkin... (more »)

Soldier_11 said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 9:32 pm:
I live over in Australia and the drinking age is 18. However their (the government) is considering increasing the age to 21 as well. the laws over here aren't strict at all amnd punishment only occurs if a bartender sells to an under 18.

jbutterfly10 said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 6:12 pm:
I disagree. I really don't trust our generation. Including me:)

agsmiley888 said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 10:57 pm:
i dont knoe i think that it will probably change things a little bit i guess but we do know that many people are getting alcohol one way or another.