Say No to Steroids

Olympic champions Ben Johnson and Marian Jones and the baseball player Barry Bonds all used steroids to improve their athletic ability. These are people kids are supposed to look up to. These are the role models kids want to become when they get older. In my view, these role models made a poor decision in using steroids.

I consider steroid use to be a form of cheating, and I know that a lot of other athletes and fans think the same as me. I believe that the athletes who take steroids should feel bad, but it seems many of them just do not care. They care more about personal performance over using drugs. When the coaches tell their player good job, they should consider thanking the steroids instead.

The natural way is much better. If an athlete has a good game, then they should deserve the good game, without using steroids. Without steroids they are a "real" athlete. This really connects to me because I am an athlete, and I feel great after a good game that I worked hard for. If I was taking steroids, then it would take out a lot of the joy of succeeding. Taking steroids is a form of cheating. I do not care who is taking steroids, it is still cheating.

It is not only cheating, it is also not good for people’s health. There are many undesirable side effects. Side effects that men have include infertility, breast development, shrinking of the testicles, baldness, and more (Steroids). If I asked anyone that has a good conscience to not cheat, they would all say, ”No way, I am not taking steroids.” The possibility of not having children is real if someone takes steroids; that is a serious consequences.

Side effects of steroids in women include a deeper voice, excessive growth of body hair, and more (Steroids). These side effects are not appealing. I know that I would not take steroids to be better, but I also do not want to take that risk of the side effects. God made me this way for a reason, so why change what he created with his love for me?

Other general side effects of steroid abuse are high blood pressure, heart attacks, cancer, HIV, AIDS, and rage and aggression (Steroids). These effects are no joke. They could result in death. Not being here with your friends and family because of a win is a poor choice. These risks for both men and women are severe and serious; it is not worth it. A person who is using steroids must live with these possible effects each and every day.

If an athlete who uses steroids want to quit, the withdrawal, is hard. This is another reason not to start in the beginning. When an athlete withdrawals, there are symptoms as well. Some withdrawal symptoms are mood swings, depression, and loss of appetite, insomnia, and aggression. Also the depression can even lead to suicide attempts if untreated (Steroids). There are three primary choices with steroids. One, if athlete chooses to withdrawal, then they would have to go through horrible symptoms again. Two, if they do not go through withdrawals and keep using steroids they many end up dying. Three, if athletes do not take them in the first place, they do not have to go through any kind of steroid symptoms. I like the third option the best!

There are some other special conditions that should be considered. I think that it is ok if someone needs steroids for some kind of health reason. However, if an athlete is able to get steroids, but does not really need them, then they should not take them. If someone really needs to take steroids, then after they get better or finish using the steroids they can come back and play. All of the steroids have to be flushed out before they start to play again.

Some people might think that they won’t not get caught taking steroids, and the testing might not catch them either. That is a risk not worth taking.

Kids have already started to become like Ben Johnson, Marion Jones, and Barry Bonds. Studies show that 5% of teen boys and 2.5% of teen girls are already using steroids (Steroids). Do not become like those people. Do not cheat and do not take steroids. Sports should make you healthier.

Site
Steroids-Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids in Sports. The New York Times Company. Web. 6 Nov. 2009.

Sean N. said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 7:51 am:
Yeah, when somebody uses steroids because they want to win something then they should not be allowed to be in it but if they have a health concern then that is ok because some people need it

amysoccer replied...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 7:45 pm :
i knnow that is what i said

superstar013 said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 8:22 pm:
nice work amy!