Maybe The Government Is Right About Marijuana

In the United States marijuana is considered a highly addictive illicit drug. If you are caught possessing such drug, depending on the quantity, you will be given a permanent record with a felony and possibly finding yourself a new roommate in a much smaller room. Marijuana is unlike other drugs because it is a naturally occurring plant that some people have illegally manipulated to carry higher levels of tetra hydrochloride (THC), which gives the user the ‘high’ feeling.

Marijuana hurts everyone around the user. Those under the influence may become very lazy and unlike their drunken buddies they may not want to be included in destructive behavior. It is also typical, because of the lack of motivation, that they do not want to drive; when a drunk person is driving usually they will speed and swerve between lanes without warning. Drivers, who are high, prefer to have high-speed endeavors at fifteen to twenty mph. This style of driving is much more dangerous because people may not be ready for the overly cautious driving.

Because marijuana is illegal, the underground trade network that has been established produces no money for the government like alcohol or tobacco. The only money the government gets is when it searches a possible drug dealer’s house. The best part for the government is the cost it takes to enforce laws about marijuana. This usually much greater than the money recovered could ever add up to. If marijuana was sold in stores like alcohol and tobacco, the government could establish a tax on it that could help repay some of the billions of debt our country has established, not to mention Law enforcement could also concentrate on crimes that don’t involve only one person like murders and rape.

Another reason marijuana is illegal is because unlike alcohol, which is legal, if you use too much, you won’t suffer from poisoning and you don’t run the risk of dying. When a marijuana addict uses too much pot, they suffer with severe hunger and become very lethargic. However, when a person consumes alcohol they tend to ride a rollercoaster of energy. The first few drinks a person ingests tend to relax them, the next round gets them a little more obnoxious by becoming louder and wanting to be more active. The drinker soon becomes uncontrollable, often become excessively rowdy, even being unable to walk and talk logically. Finally, if the person consumes even more alcohol they may pass out from alcohol poisoning, which left untreated can become blinding or fatal. Logically marijuana, ‘the harder drug ‘is illegal.

Tobacco, which is legal is generally not grown organically and contains lots of harmful chemicals. When smoked carbon monoxide is inhaled. Marijuana is usually organically grown but still contains a lot of the same chemicals that tobacco has. Tobacco has always been legal in the United States and has very high taxes on the products that help support government’s funding. Because marijuana is illegal, it complicates the process the government would have to go through to apply a considerably large tax on it. Because the trade of marijuana is done with any and all avoidance of Law enforcement, the government knows no one would claim and profits they may have made from selling illegal substances.

There would be no beneficial effects on the community like alcohol and tobacco bring. Not to mention all the extra paperwork the government would have to do and the cut down on the percent of the population that would remain incarcerated. For all these reasons it is extremely logical why marijuana remains illegal.

LucyInTheSkyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:25 am:
I honestly couldn't tell you were being sarcastic. I thought you were, but I wasn't sure. I was a about to go ape shit on all the crap you said, then I saw all the comments about it being satyrical. Reading it again, it was funny, but you should really emphasize the sarcasm.

JCMerak This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Love it!!!! Agree.

ReignOfLove said...
Apr. 14, 2012 at 4:04 am:
I finally realized your use of satire in like the third paragraph. Well done. Although it might be better to highlight the sarcasm even more, even though you did use a lot of it.

Thoreau420 said...
Good points, just don't think your sarcasm was pronounced well enough.

DerekW said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 2:47 am:
Yes this is the kind of articles that NEED TO HIT THE NEWS!!!!! good stuff

gracegirl17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm:
I think your article makes marijuana seem much safer than alcohol, which it is. You are trying to make a bad statement from good facts. 

LOL_LORD replied...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:27 am :
That is the point.

MartinezLexi5280 said...
It should be legal because many doctors prescribe it to there pationts and so many people like my aunty worked she had so much pain and when she smoked atleast once a day she felt better the whole day.

AirenLorayne said...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 4:17 am:

Love the use of sarcasm here. I completley agree. Cancer patients are perscribed medicinal cannibis for a reason, because it helps them with their appetites. I personally think marijuana could also be used for anorexics, but cases of anorexia vary, but cancer is cancer.

Anyways, although I am pro-legalization, there would be some cons. America would probably experience a noticeable increase in either legal or illegal immigrants. Illegal immigrants could create a problem, there are alre... (more »)

cuntdontsmokeweed said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:26 am:
weed should be legal because, its not as bad as cigs and they have health benefits people that get high should just be watched carfully

mr h said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:25 am:

i enjoyed your discriptic languae about your opinoin on weed and its useres

Literalist17 said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:30 am:
its idiotic to compare pot to alcohol and cigarettes.. first off, a nicotine high doesnt decrease your motor skills to those of a small child, and i agree cigarettes should be illegal. more importanly, you make it seem like the legalization of pot would solve all of the country's problems... wrong. it cant and couldnt. also, the effects on the human brain between alcohol and pot are EXTREMELY different. alcohol depresses it for a short time while pot screws up all of the hardwiring, if you will.... (more »)

CyberLydii replied...
May 30, 2012 at 7:12 am :
Pot does not "screw up all your hardwiring". The study that said pot kills brain cells was rigged. They tested monkeys with 100X the weed normally smoked, and put it in a gas mask so they couldn't get any oxygen. The brain cells died due to lack of oxygen, not from cannabis use.

KellerFalls said...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 10:26 am:
I also find it interesting that the goverment can freely pay for marijanna drug dealers, and people with possesion of marijanna to stay in jail but, they can't pay for kids to go 2 college or cant pay for families to keep there homes from going into foreclosure.

KellerFalls said...
Sept. 14, 2010 at 10:18 am:

wow..marijauna is a very helpful drug. Back in time marijanna stalks were used to make clothing, paper, the soles of shoes etc.

You have never heard a story about someone overdosing on marijanna or dying from it. Bob Marley smoked marijanna almost everyday of his life and he died from other causes.

I also don't believe weed is a gate way drug. Weed isn't even a drug, it's an NATURAL HERB, something you could never overdose off of. I don't you cigarrettes are legal. Most cigarett... (more »)

EnglishFreak replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 8:45 am :
read other posts, the entire article is sarcasm.

juliansky20 said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 4:28 am:
Marijuana doesn't kill you. If you think that, you are clearly uninformed. There is no data whatsoever to support your erroneous claim. Also, good job to the writer of this :) except it's Tetra Hydro Cannibinol

morgan_ennis said...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:26 pm:
Okay, I do not mean to sound like a jerk but get off your soap box for a moment and listen. First of all alcohol should be illegal becuase you could die from alcohal poisning and tobacco could give you cancer and you could die from that. So it should be illegal to. Plus, most people who die or get into accidents are drunk and if people die of health related issues it is probably because of lung cancer or something related to tabacco. So if weed was legal, the goverment could benifit from it and ... (more »)

EnglishFreak replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm :
Point is that they are legal and pot isn't, pot doesn't kill people like alcohol: the only reason why it's illegal is the government cant regulate it

ThisLitIsBananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 11, 2010 at 4:30 pm :
Actually pot can kill you. But anyways, if alcohol and smoking were illegal there would just be more underground trafficking and more illegal activity. Remember when they banned alcohol around the turn of the century? People made tunnels underground to smuggle rum. Whether you make it legal or illegalize it, people are still going to do it.