Dear Drugs and Alcohol 2

Dear Drugs and Alcohol,
You’ve taken another one of my friends away… the one that I thought you’d never get and now there is only one left. But I can’t help but wonder how long it will be until you’ll infect that person also. A week, a month, a year? As time goes on, I notice that you are even more present than you used to be. Even though others seem to insist that you’re going on the “down low” I see it as you becoming so common that they don’t see you there anymore. You’ve become part of the backdrop. I don’t see you ever going away, at least not in my lifetime. You’ve impacted too many people, made too many connections, and have become even more addictive than your predecessors. Not only is it “cool” to use you, it’s common, as well as a gateway to finding new friends, and experiencing new facets of life. You open doors to popularity and acceptance… hell you’ve even gotten the ones who try not to be like everyone else wrapped around your finger. You are the devil cloaked as an angel. You welcome us in and then you cut off our heads. It’s no wonder people can’t continually say no to you you’ve got to many people covering your back. It’s like saying a group of black ants can kill a human. It just can’t happen. However even if you do happen to succeed in winning over my friends, even the ones that are closest to me, I will not falter, I will not give in. You will stay my enemy and you will never win me over. I refuse to become one of your puppets, one of the many people that you control around the world. It may not be a fight that I can win, but I will die trying. I certainly promise you that.

Love, someone who doesn’t love you.

Deliah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31, 2012 at 8:59 am
"You’ve even gotten the ones who try not to be like everyone else wrapped around your finger." This is perhaps the most beautiful line in here because it is so true. Throughout high school, my friend and I were both the kind of "sheltered girls"-we didn't go out a lot, and we never drank or smoked pot or any of that stuff. However, once we got to college that changed. WE had changed. I almost gave into the pressure to drink, but hearing of a drunk driving accident that a friend of a friend... (more »)

BaileyBearXD said...
I personally dont agree with you about one thing and that is marijuana, but hards and alcohol I agree with you

Dragonscribe said...
Jan. 15, 2011 at 10:56 am
Scary as your article is I agree with you. Two of my sister's friends plus one of mine were killed in drunk driving accidents. My aunt died from lung cancer possibly caused by smoking. My dad chewed tobacco but quit - hopefully it doesn't come to haunt him. It is so sad how something so heartless - speaking, of course, of the fact that drugs and alcohol are inanimate - can take over so many people's lives. I think drinking can be okay in moderation, but honestly, why bother drinking? If you can ... (more »)

Dragonscribe replied...
Jan. 15, 2011 at 10:56 am
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY WORK!!

mutekid016 said...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:36 am
umm i have different opinions on drugs but stuff like heroin and coke and that s**** yeah i get that.