Is Lowering the Drinking Age a Good Thing?

By , Hartland, WI
Duke, Johns Hopkins, and Tufts, America’s most prestige’s schools have come together to fix the binge-drinking problem on college campuses. Their solution? According to Darshak Sanghavi, the author of “Quicker Liquor” they should lower the drinking age. Yes, they think it will stop students binge-drinking. As many argue, at 18 you can fight in the military, vote, and buy cigarettes, so why can’t we drink? It’s a commonly asked question among many Americans. On the contrary, many believe that lowering the drinking age has nothing to do with the binge-drinking problem. It will only create more problems such as drunk driving and many being irresponsible about alcohol. The younger you start, the easier it is to become addicted. It’s all based on the school; as well as the social location of the person, and background.
As there are always going to be problems, consequences come with drinking. As many are aware of, drunk driving is one of those. Currently, your fourth offense, it’s a felony. There is something majorly wrong with this picture. As many European countries say: your first offense your done driving the rest of your life. This is how it should be. If you kill someone drunk driving, they will kill you. There is no tolerance what so ever. People are so eager to lower the drinking age but then other changes need to be made to the laws about drunk driving.
Yes, I believe that if you can put your life on the line to fight for our country and vote then you should be able to have alcohol. If there weren’t as many problems that go along with it and people were responsible about it then yes, it wouldn’t be a problem to have alcohol.
No matter how low the drinking age is, kids are going to fight the rules. It’s what kids like to do. Going against the rules makes kids feel rebellious that they can fight it. "We're not in a situation where we can stop it. The best we can do is try to contain it," Mark Beckner, the chief of police in Boulder, Colorado.
I’m not for or against the idea of lowering the drinking age but stricter laws need to be enforced. If these laws are put into place then many people will rethink the idea of drinking too much and make decisions that affect their life and the lives of everyone around them.

HunterAnonymous said...
today at 12:06 pm:
When you turn 18, you are legally an adult. So why can't an adult have the fredom to chose what he wants to do to his or her body and brain. They are, at that age, old enough to make these decisions and make other LEGAL Self-Harmful choices (smoking). If they are old enough to where they are finally regarded as a LEGAL INDIVIDUAL in todays society, why can't they be allowed to INDIVIDUALLY make the decision wether or not they should drink.

HunterAnonymous replied...
today at 12:08 pm :
*freedom     

oxamandaleigh said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:40 am:
I believe the drinking age should remain where it stands. 18 is way too young and 23 is too old. if the drinking age is lowered, yes i agree that binge drinking will become more of an issue. but i also belive that under age drinking will be a problem if it is raised to 23. I very much agree that it should be firmly enforced for the age that it is currently set at.

Emmalina said...
Mar. 6, 2012 at 5:20 pm:
Sounds good! Make it all equal, then!

Emmalina said...
I personally think that it should either be for firmly enforced or it should be made for people 23 and older because most people aren't done with college until 22 or 23. If it was heightened, than people wouldn't be risking their college education and money because they blew all their money and time drinking and going to parties. Like I said, either make it more enforced or change it to 23.

Snowed replied...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 11:17 am :
Having a drinking age of 21 relative to the other age requirements is absurd. You won't be able to stop kids drinking privately but having it so obscenely high, again relatively, only encourages the rebellious spirit with which drinking often starts. Make it all 18!

Emmalina replied...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 4:52 pm :
If you want to change everything to 18, let's do it to driving too, then!

Snowed replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:07 am :
By all means! That's how it works in Ireland.

mysteryISbeauty said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:48 am:
People on't drink to feel rebellious, they drink to have a good time. I know several people that are "underage drinkers" and they don't get out o hand. I think lowering the drinking age would really help us a lot with our drunk driving situations. If we drop the drinking age I think we should make the death penalty the solution to drunk driving accidents. We already have too many of these so this law would control the adults as well.

Emmalina replied...
Jan. 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm :
I see what you say, but it would also make more sense to make it so you can't drink, and even smoke, until 23 because most people are done with college at 23. It wouldn't be an issue at 21 if more people didn't break the law for most people because 21-year-olds typically will be more responsible than teens.

Dragonscribe said...
Jan. 15, 2011 at 11:00 am:
I think lowering the age is a bad idea. I understand how it might work - but I don't think it will. There are lots of people out there who drink under 21 but because is it against the law, they drink in moderation. If the age is lowered that conscience is gone. They don't have to feel bad about it - it's legal! I think it would be a terrible idea.

Dragonscribe replied...
Jan. 15, 2011 at 11:01 am :
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY WORK!

WriteAboutNow said...
In my opinion, the drinking age should be lowered. In places like China and parts of Europe, where there is no drinking age at all, there is a lower level of alcoholism in teens. I think a major part of why there is teen drinking in the US is because of rebellion, so if the drinking age was lowered, I see no reason to assume that everyone would become alcoholics.

sohumstarbeam said...
I like the idea of lowering the age of drinking because i am a responsible younger girl who enjoys the taste of alcohal. However, laws were made for a reason. Studies have shown that our heads arent fully developed until around the age of 21. Drinking will affect someone 21 and younger more in long term wise then someone who is older. So yes, when it would be nice to go out and grab a drink with your friends by 18, i am glad that the law is there to protect my physical health.

Blahblah said...
"As many argue, at 18 you can fight in the military, vote, and buy cigarettes, so why can’t we drink?" This is a main reason why I believe it should be lowered.

qwerty said...
"As many argue, at 18 you can fight in the military, vote, and buy cigarettes, so why can’t we drink?" This is sooo true! I don't understand why they can risk their life for America but dont have the right to drink alcohol.

frogsof2015 said...
I totally agree with you. 

eric.paine said...
Most states in the nation adopted a minimum drinking age of 21 soon after federal passage of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, which required states to maintain a minimum drinking age of 21 in order to avoid a reduction in federal highway funds. The original intention of the law was to reduce the incidents of alcohol-related accidents among people under 21. But since passage of this legislation, and the raising of the drinking age in many states, the percentage of people who drink b... (more »)