WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i agree that we should be enjoying our lives as much as we can, but there are other ways to do it. what enjoyment will someone get from a cigarette? none, unless leathery, wrinkly skin, yellow teeth and cancer are fun. alcohol and other drugs will cause other health problems. how much will you be enjoying your life when you're in the hospital dying of liver failure?

Allie97 replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm :
i completely agree with you

chocolatkiss1013 said...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 1:25 am:
I agree completely finally a mind who agrees.... why act older than we are? we are teenagers so y try to take on unnecissary responsiblity? as long as we have our act together why should we worry about something that has enough people worrying about it? 

kao-chanu replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 9:10 pm :
Why worry now? Because your "fun" is only going to last a few more years, and then what happens when you suddenly have to take care of yourself? You didnt learn how to when you were a teen so you are SOL.

Lilliterra said...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:22 pm:

I think this is just the irresponsible attitude that is rampant among teens and ought to stop.

Drugs/alcohol/whatever might provide a temporary escape from your troubles, but this is, as I said, temporary. What happens when you get off it? You want more. And so you do it again. And again. And you're enslaved. And yes, it can kill you.

Amiee replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm :
i second this

kao-chanu replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 9:11 pm :
i absolutely agree. it is irresponsible and immature behavior.

Abidah H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:05 pm:

To be honest, I've always been of the opinion that drugs and alcohol dampen the fun you can have. I think having control over what you're doing and being able to remember it clearly actually enhances your experience. Plus, it's not really rebellion when everyone is doing it. Where I'm from, you're a rebel if you turn down something.  You don't do things for the hell of it; you do it because it's expected. It's what normal kids do.

If you've read any Stephen King, his... (more »)

WordSmith said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 7:39 am:
Good work man, a controversial yet validated argument. Well written and well said.

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:45 pm:
Some of you people need to lighten up. Everyone can have their own opinion and you don't need to put anyone down for thinking their own way. As for me, i've just kind of figured that we are flooded with information about how bad all drugs are for the human body, but people still drink, smoke, and even do the serious drugs. I'm okay with people smoking cigarettes, shisha, pot, as well as I'm fine with alcohol as long as it's not abused. The hard thing with drugs, though, is knowing when you're ab... (more »)

WeAreAllWasted replied...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:03 am :
dude i know your just voicing your opinion and i get it but you really didnt relate at all to the quality of the articale

Adonis replied...
Aug. 4, 2010 at 4:55 pm :
uh, that's why it's called 'comments/feedback' and not 'feedback'

MercedesXO said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm:
idk why it re-wrote what i said above..sorry about that. lol

MercedesXO said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm:

i agree with you....and not because i think that every teenager in the universe should jump up to do these things. but the reality of that matter IS that most of us (i knw not everyone) have done, will do, and will continue doing these things. we're constantly reminded of how bad they are and what they can do to our minds and bodies. but i agree with you that not going over the top and enjoying your teenage life AS YOU CHOOSE (if these substances are of your interest) that it's not the worst ... (more »)

HAWKEYESTATE4ever said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 2:07 pm:
Right, until a teen who gets drunk or high "for the hell of it" decides to get into a car and swerves into oncoming traffic murdering a family of five. No problem, though, I'm sure the families loved ones would laugh and say, "those teens were just 'enjoying surviving.'"

fahreekin-crazy replied...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 11:50 am :
But he wasn't saying to drive while high or drunk or anything. To do so would be irresponsible and deadly. This article is for the teen on the couch, trying pot and laughing and eating chocolate cake.  Not saying I agree totally-- for me weed became something I needed to cope with everyday life. I urge everyone that wants to try drugs or alchohol to be fully secure with their other coping skills. Wh-hoo! :D

kao-chanu replied...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 9:16 pm :
HAWKEYESTATE4ever: You are completely right. I agree with you all the way. Nice use of sarcasm to, it really hits deep.

Heathurrlovesyouu said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 12:34 am:
LOVE THIS! I agree one hundred and fifty percent. Thank you for writing this, seriously.

Thrush said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 11:41 am:
It was written right, and well, but as annahxox said, some points were dead on, some I disagree with.

annahxox said...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 7:43 pm:
wow i actually loved this. it was extremely well written, and actually gave me a new perspective. i don't agree with everything, but some points were dead on. where you wrote artists and stuff, that really made sense to me. job well done