WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

htrae22 said...
wow i never looked at it from this point of view drugs are still wrong

htrae22 replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:23 am :
be nice please

suzycreamcheese said...
regarding your comment:  It's actually "effects".

SoulxFinder said...
An interesting outlook. I really like this. Judging by the comments, the argument lies between " Yes, we should let loose" and "No, you can have fun without that stuff". I'm going to fill the blank space inbetween and say that teens grow up to be certin people based on who they were as kids. Everyone should just do their own thing. If you want to party, then party. If you don't, then don't. Basically - do your own thing. 

chocolatedaii This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree.Whats the fun in life when science is always their to try to answer or answer every mystery or story.Science kicks the fun out of life and makes me see why my science teacher is always so grochy!I feel sorry for her but someones gotta do it,right?

MadisonReneeJane said...
I was thinking the same thing the other day... I love this!

MiraNicole said...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:19 am:

I love this piece (idealistic, clever, passionate, all the things I adore). Really, I do. Whether or not I agree is irrelevant, because I truly don't know what I think--

It is all very confusing, substance issues, things of that sort. 

Opinionated said...
You already have so many other comments, so I dought this will be importamt. But I think the EXACT same thing but I am just astonished at how well you were able to structure it in a such a poetic manner! Bravo! C'était manifique!

SemiVeggie replied...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 7:30 pm :
Aux mes yeux, c'était pas de tout magnifique, et quand je l'ai lu, j'avais honte d'être une adolescente. Dans les yeux d'histoire, je ne veux pas devenir la génération des medicaments, tout meme si ça encourage les arts.

Opinionated replied...
Dec. 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm :
La génération des medicaments? Je ne vous suis pas... Je trouve que l`article a bien exprimer son idée sur le fait que sans les drugs, l`alcohol et tout cela nous aurons beaucoup moins d`art et de `Fun`. Je suis d`accord avec parce que une fois de temps en temps, de l`alcohol et du `Weed`ca nous tueras pas. J`ai vraiment aimer ca dergniere phrase ``After all, googd health is merely the slowest rate at wich we can die!`` C`est tellement vrai.

SemiVeggie replied...
Dec. 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm :
Vous m'avez fait rire! (Vraiment!) J'aimais bien votre citation sur la bonne santé. Je suis d'accord avec vous que l'article a bien exprimé son idée, c'est juste que je ne suis pas de tout d'accord avec. J'ai destiné mes commentaires sur "la génération des medicaments" pour dire que si toute notre génération commence à utiliser de l'alcool et des drogues, c'est probable que l'histoire nous verra comme "la gén&ea... (more »)

Lucy(: This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

alright alright alright

this shouldn't be an arguement, but i've lost many friends BECAUSE of drugs. i agree with the article, drugs make emotion and show people a different experience of life, but its not essentail.

but yeah, most of the best rappers like kid cudi, mac miller etc all rap about drugs. fair to say.

Fifteen_Roses This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, NotYoursForever, chill out. Inkspired did exactly the reight thing- said their point of view, stated it was different, and agreed to disagree. Calm. Down.

Alex.Babe replied...
Nov. 9, 2010 at 11:47 am :
I agree, but then I disagree. I give you props for saying what you belive, becuase not many people have the courage to be on the more "bad side" of the argument. (not saying that it is)

Congratulations on standing up for what you think.

But do you even know what you're saying???

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 6:11 pm :
a rhetorical question constitutes neither constructive criticism or comment, but cheers anyway.

Katie1234 said...
You did a bold thing, by being on an end for the drugs and for the alcohol. Sure inspiration comes from those things at times, but people don't really care about that. And why I do love this, I have a friend who almost died because she wanted to have a little fun. We will all die eventually, but we don't have to die from these things. And it doesn't take these things to have a little fun.

xopariskisses replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 11:32 am :
I totally get that. I too had a friend who experimented with drug a couple of weeks ago. They got hooked and then he died because he got hooked on it. I think people are allowed to experiment just not with something that can kill you. 

mrclean said...
i must agree with cowboyhiphop!!haha love the name dogg...... i also have a cousen that stated like that, she i much older than me. i think shes 34 35. and she got into that whole party life of drinking and  using drugs. she got nocked up at 16 dropped out of school. and continued to do so after having her kid. i am only about 6mouths older than her kid. we grow up together as kids. the only differnce was i had my mother around she never used drugs never had a lick of liquor and had a some ... (more »)

cowboyhiphop said...
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with this article. My cousin is a year older than me and he started off just "being rebellious" now he's addicted to mecinal marijuana and has been arrested several times on drug related charges. I dont think drugs have ever helped us, I've met people who did tons of drugs i nthe 60's and now they can barely function. It is possible to be happy and healthy.

TheShadowsHaveEyes said...

I completely respect your opinion, and do not mean to trash it if that's the way you feel, but I think it's possible to have a good time without having to do physical harm to yourself. I understand the desire to just be rebellious, the desire to not submit to authority, but teens are examples to younger children, and do we want to show kids that that's all there is to being a teen? Or do you want to be thought of as something better than that?

Like I said, I get where you're comi... (more »)