WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

x803xKillerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love this article and I think you are so right. Whether its right or wrong I'll even say, that I do alot of stuff like I "Shouldn't" but for me its most of what makes life good. I'm very glad you posted this, and I'm glad others think that it isn't completely horible to do those things. I really admire you for writting this.

Dreamboat said...

Yea, I agree with K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n.  this has nothing to do with science.

K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. replied...
thanks! :)

WrItEr2010 said...
my mother is a novelist and she does not smoke or do drugs or drink alcohol. 

K.a.t.h.l.e.e.n. said...
I think a better titile for your article would be "Common Sense Takes the Fun Out of Life." It is not just science that tells us not to destroy ourselves, but common sense, of which you seem to be lacking...

TheCreepyNeighbor replied...

Well that was a bit harsh. She's right, basically she is saying live your life to the fullest instead of worrying about everything.

Maybe you won't do it with dru.gs, but live it up without over analyzing.

Scoobydoo replied...
May 25, 2011 at 8:57 am
Right on, Kathleen. :/

a.singlenote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great article!! Much peace and love, man!

SassyJones said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:52 am
i agree. Altough i think they should teach  what you should do if you decided to get high, drink extra. Or at least for drinking because its less contresversal. They should tell you about drinking lots of water, eating food before hand, extra

SassyJones said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:50 am
i completly agree. I think you do have to reasearch and know alot about every drug, alchohal, included before deciding. But i love shreding stress and packing up a bowl or downing a resonable amount of alchohal and letting loose. The danger is when you can't have fun without doing these things.

Cecilia said...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:15 am
i veary much like your artikle and i think your absulutly right and sorry for my horrible spelling lol

johnxrox said...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 7:36 am
While I do hold the opinion that the government has no place mandating what chemicals people decide to ingest, I will say that the notion that drugs serve as a crutch to art is silly to me. Sure maybe it influenced a few artists, but violence influences a lot of artists as well. Should we promote violence because art wouldn't be where it is today without it? 

Brooke B. replied...
No we don't have to promote violence because it doesn't need any help being around, its natural to life. Yes, you can argue that but to know peace you have to first know violence. So promote, no, it exists naturally

Scoobydoo replied...
May 25, 2011 at 9:02 am

Good thought, johnxrox. Should we acclaim Al Capone for adding an element to Chicago culture/society?

Or what about the family life of these drugged artists/musicians? Obviously there was something troubling them...why else would they drown themselves in drugs and alcohol. Yes, they were still able to produce many amazing works of art/music, but gracious...drugs do nothing but dumb you down and space you out. Seriously. Real artists are ones who need NOTHING to "enhance" their percepti... (more »)

bnljack said...
excellent points. what is the point of life, if not enjoyment. if i happen to get joy from pot, who then has the right to stop me?

lyssa28 said...
Although i wont try drugs, your right. whats the point of being a teen if we dont take risks?!

BaileyBurke replied...
Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:27 am
*you're right

Faceless said...
Beautifully written! (can't say I agree tho...) but Beautiffully written!!!

htrae22 said...
wow i never looked at it from this point of view drugs are still wrong

bnljack replied...
terrible comment. nobody will ever become a better person if they reject all new viewpoints and information. your problem is you believe everything youve previously learned to be truth, and orent open to any other opinions.