WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

SometimeRisktaker32 said...
I get where ur coming from EoinC, but I agree w/ TheAdvocate...u have to be responsible with ur body. I mean, I'm all 4 living life on the edge and stuff...but I'd like to b clear headed while doing it. Drugs inhibit ur judgement and ability to think...I'd rather go bungee jumping in Africa off Victoria falls than waste my time smoking... Does bungee jumping sound like a "conservative" activity to you? lol

RealisticWoman replied...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm :
I agree with you about being clean and all. But where did the conservative thing come from? I'd also like to mention that if you would bungee jump in Africa instead of smoking or drinking, I'm sure it would cost a lot lest yearly than either of those activties.

EoinC said...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:06 am:
It's about time somebody took this take on the matter... Well done :) Breath of fresh air.

BlueRain replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm :
Ironic comment, considering it's about smoking.

Scoobydoo said...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 7:53 am:

Yikes. (First of all, doing stuff for the "h***" of it is absolutely not a good reason) ... yes, artists and dramatists(etc.) who were also addicted to crack, opium, were alcoholics...well, if you look at their personal lives(apart from their amazing art), they were often wrecks.

p.s. Coke and alcohol don't make wonderful art. The person's talent does, and they probably dumbed themselves down from what --even more-- amazing artists they could have been.

RealisticWoman replied...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm :
I agree with you too. Artists probably have a lot of things wrong with their life and are able to paint their sorrows or joys with the talent of practiced hands. The drugs and alcohol do nothing to enhance their works. They do that to supress their depressions.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree with this. While I am not a fan of drugs or drinking, the occasional drinking-at-a-party doesn't hurt. I like to be young, have fun with my friends, all that. :)

emolover95 said...
I do not agree with this. Yes, we should live our lives to the fullest. I honestly believe that the activities described in your article would be living life to its fullest. Drugs tear lives apart. I've seen it happen in my own life, why would I endorse drugs? They are terrible! Nothing about them are wholesome or fun. Addiction is not living life to its fullest. It's making you a slave, you are no longer free, because you are a slave to your own addiction. I like how you started it out.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm :
He's not endorsing addiction. Makes that pretty clear in the article.

BlueRain replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 5:18 pm :
Drugs don't make you live your life to the fullest. All they do is make you waste a huge chunk of time if you're caught driving under the influence, along with all the other accidents you can cause that can seriously injure or kill people. There is no good side to drugs except temporary relief for the drugged, and you usually regret it anyways.

TheAdvocate said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm:
well I believe people should "live their lives to the fullest" as the next dude, but honestly drugs and drinking do NOT make life anymore fun. They lead to accidents, death, overdoses, depression and diseases. And sure, there are people who live full, happy lives while doing drugs, but how do you know that you'll be one of them? Drugs don't discriminate, and neither do diseases like cancer. There are alot of people who would kill to have a healthy body-don't taint one if you have one! Alittle fu... (more »)

EoinC replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:09 am :
So you'll have a nice conservative life, follow the rules, don't take any chances, generally acting responsibly... Then BOOM, it's over. That's it. I think that's what he was trying to get across in his article. 

Thoreau420 said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm:
I agree, mostly. We're not invincible, but yes, we should live, we should act for the hell of it. We should live life to the fullest, experience everything possible. 

Lilliterra said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm:

where would we be without these three? Somewhere better than we are!

Where would art, music, and literature be? Why the exact same place, or close to it. No good art or writing has ever come out of drugs or drinking...

Where would artists be without this stuff? Better off than where they are! If they are troubled, they need to find a SOLUTION, not a narcotic.

I don't know about you but I want to get rid of weekends of "stumbling, spewing, and stupidity".

Your next ... (more »)

Thoreau420 replied...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 6:51 pm :
"Where would art and music be without drugs" Highly modified. I'm assuming you've heard of someone called Stephen King? Big stoner, quoted to sanction marijuana legalization. He's just one, there have got to be countless artists and musicians: sublime, cypress hill, even George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew marijuana on their farms and were quoted to enjoy smoking it. Drugs like marijuana gives people a new outlook on their world and life, a reality check, a new perspective. It's inspired... (more »)

SilverSurfer replied...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm :
Don't you think it would be cool to try to become a legend w/out drugs? And for every artist who did drugs, there is one who didn't.

Scoobydoo said...
May 25, 2011 at 9:04 am:

(This was in reply to a comment below)

Should we acclaim Al Capone for adding an element to Chicago culture/society?

Or what about the family life of these drugged artists/musicians? Obviously there was something troubling them...why else would they drown themselves in drugs and alcohol. Yes, they were still able to produce many amazing works of art/music, but gracious...drugs do nothing but dumb you down and space you out. Seriously. Real artists are ones who need NOTHING... (more »)

Scoobydoo replied...
May 25, 2011 at 9:04 am :
Oops...for some reason my comp is doubling everything I say. :/ It will probaly do it to this too...

InvisibleNerdGirl said...
May 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm:
Actually, I think I'd do okay without an odd hasty cigarette clenched between my troubled lips. But to each his own. :)

Hammi said...
May 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm:
you are sooo right

XenonG said...
YES!! PLEASE, people, stop over anlyzing your life and just live it!