WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:34 am:
As the others say, you are brave in posting this. But you are also not very intelligent in doing so either. I know you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine; and I won't try to change that. Most of what you say is true. Teenagers are doing things like these for the fun of it. But to encourage them? How could you? Do you really think you can defend yourself by saying this provides inspiration? Sure you are a great writer. Talent is evident in the structure of you piece if not the c... (more »)

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:26 am :
You have apparently misread my article, because at no point do I encourage this behaviour, I only defend it. It is simply ignorant to deny the fact that both drugs and alcohol are a source of fun and creativity for many, but by no means all, people. I am a strong believer in this, and do accept that they should only be used in moderation although many don’t.<br /> The assumption that I am an addicted drug-abuser and/or alcoholic is simply incorrect – I have neither the time nor... (more »)

ShaeMusicLover said...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 11:09 am:
While I don't completely agree with your article, I applaud you for posting this, that takes some guts. I like the main message though about how we should loosen up and not patronize each other. 5 stars!!!

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:32 pm :
Thank you!

Sri P. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
LOVE THIS ARTICLE

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 4, 2009 at 4:15 pm :
Thank you very much and congratulations for getting published!

pictolover said...
I absolutely agree. I mean, everyone knows that its bad for you but you might as well get it out of your system before you have a family. What is the point of life if it is boring and dull. Have some fun. after all, we will die anyways.

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 2, 2009 at 1:26 pm :
cheers for the comment!

lovehate29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:33 am :
a lot of people could find ways to have fun, and it doesn't mean jumping up on drugs. Think about it, if you do it before you have a family, while you're young, it may affect your life in the future. Health problems, regret.

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the original point to this piece! :]

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 1, 2009 at 3:48 pm :
thank you! its a shame teen ink seems a bit more focused on commending the dull and unoriginal though...

NickE said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 11:19 am:
Ahhh
A wave of relief I was hesitant about this site for just those reasons
I have to agree with you, most smart people have a tendency towards drugs, and where are the writing magazines for that type of people. That is the true crime here. No whinnying over your friend with a ciggerette (pardon the mistakes in spelling), No worrying about your social standing. The pure and simple dirty realism that america should be about.
I commend you, it took me awhile to find an posting ... (more »)

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 1, 2009 at 3:47 pm :
its good to know im not alone

NickE replied...
Nov. 2, 2009 at 1:09 pm :
If you would like to read my stuff that teenink will not publish contact me i would enjoy a critic, also i will accept any works you'd like to share Mindlesskid26@yahoo .com

OscarDonovan replied...
Nov. 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm :
Sounds good, added you on msn...

Abidah H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 10:00 pm :
I disagree. Most smart people don't need drugs to find satisfaction. Some people create unique work by getting high, but those are the people who could not do so without the drugs. A truly intelligent person does his or her work with a clear mind.

loganmetcalf said...
You are a gentleman and a scholar. Tonight, I drink to you. Prosit!

OscarDonovan replied...
Oct. 22, 2009 at 9:23 am :
I love this guy.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 19, 2009 at 5:42 am:
This is certainly a different point of view. I understand your opinion, and I see where you're coming from. And, yes, some "creative" people do certain things with "drugs" to get those creative juices flowing. However, "creativity" shouldn't be an excuse to smoking or drinking, or any other drugs. I like your opinion- it's different! Great job!

OscarDonovan replied...
Oct. 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm :
Thanks for the comment! I like to think them more of an aid than an excuse though!

dragonfan said...
I get where your comming from and i under stand what your saying but most people probly wont and will prob dissagree with you but i think this is a good artical keep it up!