WHY SCIENCE IS MAKING LIFE BORING...

I’m sorry to say it, but scrolling through this category makes me a little ashamed of being a teenager.

By the looks of things, most of us are intent on gabbling on about the news that (shock-horror) smoking, drinking and drugs can shorten your life-span. As if we haven’t been told enough already. Now, I’m not advocating a life that revolves around the next fix, cig, or flagon - but let’s at least enjoy ourselves. Without these three deadly sins, where would we be?

Where would art, music and our beloved literature be without drugs? How could the artist, musician or novelist survive without the odd hasty cigarette clenched between their troubled lips? Where would the weekends of stumbling, spewing and stupidity be without the litres of white cider and mysterious mixed spirits?

If we are all as clever as we would like to think, why is it that we still torture our bodies with these fatal excesses?

The answer is fun - doing stuff for the pure hell of it - it’s supposed to be what we (teenagers) live for. Now is the time to feast on rebellion, however petty, and believe ourselves to be invincible. So why waste it preaching to the unconvertible, when there’s plenty of sensible heads on aging shoulders to do that for us?

Let’s stop patronising each other, and just enjoy surviving. After all, good health is merely the slowest rate at which we can die!

WilliamNThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23 at 1:21 am
I disagree. All these things, drugs, alcohol, smoking, will eventually degrade your brain into nothing if used in excess. So what can you write if you have no brain?

Ms.Alice said...
Jan. 6 at 2:48 pm
Cannot express enough how much i agree with you. You see the problem with drugs is not the drugs themselves, but the people who take them. The same goes for alchohal. The answer to problems caused by these things isn't baby proofing the world against them but preparing and educating the people. And you know what? Things happen. Someone gets hurt? Well they learned their lesson. Of course no one likes the conseqeunces but the answer isn't stopping people from experiencing the conseqen... (more »)

Airicorn said...
simply put: you're awesome. I agree completely. I find it amusing that people even bother to comment with "drugs are bad" ...clearly none of us are going to listen.

Bones96 said...
May 30, 2013 at 11:54 am
As not only a writer but also an artist and future scientist I disagree completely. Life isn't always about having fun sometimes you have to wake to reality. Sure being a teenager isn't all work and no play, it's about figuring out who we are, who we want to be. Maybe we'll change our minds later but that's then. Science isn't making life boring if you say that then you don't know what real science is. Because science is about reasearch, it's about learning and ... (more »)

justin_0711 said...
Good story

Francesca.L. said...
I'm really glad someone has presented this point of view. Fun isn't the end of the world.

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yes, drugs influence art, but really, the world would be a MUCH better place if drugs didn't exist. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy. You can't just accept that people are destroying their lives (and the lives of people around them) like this. Drugs kill, and it is not okay. I would gladly give up drug-related art if it meant banishing drugs from the earth.

ChickenLegHouse replied...
Drugs don't kill anymore than a weapon does. The people who choose to use them do.

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
You have a good point.

TheSihlouettedMan said...
Ugh. I don't even want to say any more to this article. (And since you can't see me I'll tell you I'm rolling my eyes)

~_-Clarson-_~ said...

I don't use drugs, partly because they slow me down. I'm an artist, more of scholar- correct, but drugs slow my brain down. Drinking. Ecetera. I hate being slow.

And bedsides, don't the negatives outweigh the positives? All the side effects.

And we weren't SUPPOSED to live for the sole reason of having fun. 

I don't know about you, but I have stuff planned. I'm going to change things.

Call me wary, but I'm a little to protective of my life to let... (more »)

Aduke9 replied...
Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:17 am
I 100% agree with you, ~_-Clarson-_~.

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
really interesting point of view. i don't agree, but good article:)

samwhoam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 4:49 am
Good thought, I do think that "substance" use is a pivotal part of life, and the experiences and stupors engaged in are essential. There are many different ways of learning. Of course everything in moderation plays its part also, and you made that evident.

BlueRain replied...
That is an argument I've heard many times, but I still think it's pretty ridiculous. Humans, or every living thing in general, tests things that they know little or nothing about, because they are curious as to whether it will benefit them or harm them. "Experimentation" is to gain this information.

Now, it is a commonly accepted fact that if you touch fire, it will make you uncomfortable and cause pain if not seriously burning you.  We all know this, and though little kids touch... (more »)

samwhoam This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Ah yes, we ignorant and naive people brutalize ourselves with alcohol and pot, becoming addicted to this way of life and promting and follow so called "bad people."

What a very informed and well backed opinion.

Most people that drink and engage in stimulants are not addicts, and lead very normal, "good" lives. Partaking in revelry of this sort does not damn you, only excessive behavior will "ruin" your life. That is with anything though, including working, athletics, or any tim... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Since I don't believe in hell, I don't believe in being damned, and even if I did, I don't think alcohol would do it anways. I'm just saying that I'm not going to look up to a person who does drugs, and I don't want to be around people who smoke especially. Forget the influence, it's dangerous to your health.

When I say "bad people" and "good people" I don't mean that people who don't do drugs are angels and people who do drugs are murderers. I mean that I'd rather follow someone who ... (more »)

Just.Because. said...
Welllll...this is a really interesting perspective...Personally, I do not believe in drinking/smoking/etc. I do believe that we should live our lives as much as we can, though. "Carpe Diem" is a phrase that I live by. I think life is alot more fun and interesting when you take risks with a clear head. All that smoke and substance clogs your brain and makes everything all fuzzy...but "to each his own..."

BlueRain replied...
As good as alcohol makes you feel when you drink it, you end up wasting hours for all the crap it did to your body to pass. I'm sure there's more forefilling ways to ecstasy.

SometimeRisktaker32 said...
I get where ur coming from EoinC, but I agree w/ TheAdvocate...u have to be responsible with ur body. I mean, I'm all 4 living life on the edge and stuff...but I'd like to b clear headed while doing it. Drugs inhibit ur judgement and ability to think...I'd rather go bungee jumping in Africa off Victoria falls than waste my time smoking... Does bungee jumping sound like a "conservative" activity to you? lol