lost respect

I believe I’ve made this clear to a lot of people I know. Honestly, I have no respect for those who drink, smoke, or do drugs. There are girls who are my friends on Facebook and I see their pictures being the most commented on. What are the pictures of? Beer pong, chugging down one beer of the whole case, looking out of their mind wasted, or just a interesting looking picture of the smoke caught in the air from that person who smoked.

I know parents have said to just say ‘no because it makes you better than them who didn’t’, and although most of us don’t listen to mom and dad on this case, I do have to agree with the parents. I see somebody smoking even the smallest of the cigarettes, and it’s almost as if my respect level for them just dropped to zero.

Tonight, I was coming back from a movie with my boyfriend as we ran into a couple of friends. Their eyes were red and they just asked us to join them to smoke a joint. I was silent, looking at these people who I’ve known for a while…not believing these people, my friends, really smoked.

Getting your hands on alcohol or drugs isn’t hard nowadays. We have drug dealers and fake IDs. I’ve been asked to smoke a few times, and my answer is simple: “No, I don’t do that stuff.”

I’m not sure how the asker feels when I say this, but hopefully, they’ll respect me for it. People who I know who have smoked specifically weed told me to never try it. It’s a bad habit and hard to get out of. I tell them I was never planning to try, and they always reply: “that’s good.”

I wouldn’t know what it’s like. But, I’m guessing once you begin, it’s like an addiction after the second or third hit. Maybe it’s the same with alcohol. I’ve heard rumors that girls in my school fill their water bottles with Vodka. This is ridiculous; what are they going to do, get drunk in school and get expelled?

I have respect for everybody until they give me a reason to think otherwise. I will never become an addict to smoking or drinking. I will stay sober and be proud of myself.

Francesca.L. said...
Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm:

"I’m not sure how the asker feels when I say this, but hopefully, they’ll respect me for it."

When you begin an article saying you have no repsect for people who use drugs or alcohol, why on earth would you expect them to repsect you? I understand that it is something you do not want to try, but I believe you have generalized and made assumptions about people based on your preferences. Then again, I could be wrong.

StarryRossThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I was brought up in the same environment as you: no major issues, people that love me, do not believe/respect people that do drugs althought they're right, some actually have it hard. I agree on your article, but maybe organize/refine your ideas a little more? And double check grammar :)

thisgirl said...
Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:53 am:
I respect this. Alot. My only problem with this is 1.) no, you aren't hooked on marijuana after the first try. That's herion you're thinking of. You can't even get addicted to weed. Nice try. and 2.) a stoner or drinker doesn't care if you do the same thing as them. Nobody cares because they're doing it to fufill themselves, no you. If someone tries to pressure you into it, those are the people you lose respect for. Not everyone, but alot of people do drugs and drink to fill holes. Weather it be... (more »)

Caravana said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:03 am:
I like that you express your opinion on this matter at your age because most people don't, what you say someone else could read and rethink ever doing drugs. I wish I had read this I did drugs and drank for 5 years of my life, I am now 2 years clean but I wish I would've never fallen into that world, and yes not everyone does it just to do but no matter what the reason there is no excuse you can get away from addiction its a decision just like you made no matter what problems come your way you s... (more »)

HannahLaRen said...
I honestly think that the people who commented harsh and rude things to the person who wrote this is doing the same thing they are telling the writer NOT to do. This is her opinion. Some people are raised differently than others and thats no reason to go online and comment rude things about this article.  Everyone has different views on life. Maybe this person just doesn't want to be around it. I mean, it IS scientifically proven that the majority of people around smokers and drinkers end u... (more »)

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:02 am:
im curious when you say smokeing do you mean just like pot or all kinds and why smokeing is unwise but some smokers probably are not unrespecable. also could you respect an old person who smoked.

rockyraccoon replied...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:03 am :
by smoke i mean normal cigarettes.

shorty said...
Jun. 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm:
i love ur aritcle about RESPECT <3!!!!:)

Britty(: said...
I think you need to expand you horizon, Not all people do drugs, drink , or smoke to look cool. Some do it for an escape. Maybe they are abused, neglected, impoverished, have a physical or mental disease, lost a parent, and the list could go on and on and on. You never know what someone is going through or why they do the things they do. Im not saying it's good or okay to turn to drugs, But don't automatically judge them as a attention getter or following the croud some people genuinley have pro... (more »)

ashley1012 said...
i have to agree all the way with this article becuase i have never tryed it and never will try it my parents smoke but i told them that they should not

taboomonster123 said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 7:24 am:
I have to agree with the majority of the comments on here- the ones about not judging people- but I also think you're just putting out an opinion that most of us are too afraid to voice. I comment you for your bravery in posting this.

OrangeAbby said...
I agree with N-Westrn13 its peoples choices. Not everyone goes down the holy path you go threw. If you lose respect for them so quickly how do you think they judge you? And never say never. There will be a time and a place where you will think hey Maybe this isn't so bad and try it. Maybe you wont be addicted but then maybe you may get the enjoyment out of trying new things out there. 

N-WESTRN13 said...
Dude you live in Stamford CT. Thats Stepford Wife zombie ville, you should ask yourself why they do those things, before you form a judgement about them. And yes pictures of girls when theyre drunk are the sexist, thats life hah. I hope I get a chance to blow my smoke in that pretty lil' unbroken shell you call a face someday.         "Respect those who Experince and Understand." 

Kisses00 said...

how do you disrespect someone who smokes,drinks or does drugs? That's actually really shallow...I'd get to know that person first. Like a lotta people say, just because someone has made a bad desicion doesnt mean they're a bad person. I'm sure you've done something wrong or if you havent you WILL it's human nature...You're not a bad person for doing it nessisaril, you've just made bad choices...

BTW sorry for the bad spelling...I was just typing too fast to care :)

more »)

taboomonster123 replied...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 7:21 am :
I just realized that your "More" thing was a fake. Silly me.

easyOcean said...
Nov. 27, 2010 at 9:28 am:

I don't respect people who don't respect people for shallow reasons.

how's that?

elyyy replied...
Dec. 29, 2010 at 5:37 pm :

AGREED.

That's not a good reason to loose respect for someone.

bbreeden said...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 11:56 am:
I agree with you that when people drink, smoke, or do drugs that it is disgusting...but just because they do so does not mean that you're better than them. Noone is better than anyone else.

Opignionated said...
I don't think your one to talk or to give your opignion on these facts. I am saying with all due respect but you have no experience in any of these three categories. As many people have said, you don't know the reason that people have started any of these things and I bet with what most of them go throw, they deserve more respect than anything a clean person has ever deserved respect for. Now I understand that those who throw their lives away for these things and for no other motive but to make ... (more »)

masonsmommy said...
i have friends and family that do all three. that doesnt make them any less of a person. they still are human. they do the things because they can. i dont do them but i dont look at the people any different. i still love and care about the people that do it and they do it responsibly. they are very bright people also. these people have not had hard lives they tried it but saying that you are addicted after like the 3rd hit is kinda wrong and i know this not cuz i do it but cuz i know people who ... (more »)