Crack: And Why It's Not Funny

By , Westfield, MA
Crack: And why it's not funny.

"He's on crack or something!"

"Are you on crack?!"

"This stuff is as addictive as crack!"

You've heard things like this being said, but have you ever really listened? Have you ever thought that maybe, it's offensive to joke about such a serious drug? Maybe there's someone out there--perhaps sitting right next to you--who shivers every time they hear the word "crack". It's not a pretty word, and it's even uglier when it affects you on a personal level.

What if your father was addicted to crack? What if he had been for nearly five years and you only found out a year ago? What if he didn't admit it, but his girlfriend had to tell you? What if he had two heart attacks, open heart surgery and a stroke? What if he escaped to a foreign country where he didn't speak the language and planned to stay there? And what if, after all of that betrayal, he decided he wanted to act like your father again? What if he just showed up, went to Narcotics Anonymous, said he was clean and expected you to hug him wholeheartedly?

And I know it sounds absurd and entirely impossible. But it's true, things like this happen every day, and just because they're hidden doesn't mean they're not there. For the past couple years, I've been experiencing each and every one of those things first hand. I am the daughter of a crack addict. I am scared and damaged, my battle scars a plentiful and ugly. And hearing about them in a joke hurts more than the wounds themselves.

People say it as an afterthought. It's no big deal, "Are you on crack?!" is a perfectly acceptable question when someone is acting out-of-the-ordinary. It's a question I've been asked myself. The person who asked me thought nothing of it. But when your parent is an addict, you already have fears and insecurities. No matter how different you are from your mom or dad, no matter how good of a person you are--you're always afraid that you'll be exactly the same as them. So asking someone who's mom is an alcoholic if they're drunk, makes the worry even more that they'll turn out like their mother.

Crack is no joke--there's absolutely nothing funny about it. Every time I hear the word I shudder. It's hard to face, it's hard to deal with. And it's not something I like to think about. So do me, and thousands of other teenagers all over the world a favor and don't joke about substance abuse. We're not laughing.

Starwberry_Rabbit said...
Apr. 5 at 12:53 pm
This is brilliant!

casandrad97 said...
This means a lot. I'm a daughter of bathsalt addicts and its no laughing matter.. I now have post traumatic stress disorder and dealing with so many other things.. I completely agree. People need to be more sensitive of other peoples feelings!

MarisaBarker said...
Different people in the world get the loans from different creditors, just because this is simple.

GUTIERREZ27Lucy said...
That's perfect that people can receive the home loans moreover, it opens up new chances.

eucebio said...
good job writing this

xxcrystalfirexx said...
This article is amazing! I know what your talking about. My mother was an addicct so was my dad. Even though i havent seen my dad since i was 2. He writes letters from jail and it makes me cry sometimes. I have been to NA meeting with my mom just listening to some of the people storys makes me feel sorry for them. I have only told one friend about this and its my secret.

Nura Z. said...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

thats so true

black-sapphire said...
goodjob writing this...what if instead of waking up every morning thinking about school, or boys or etc you woke up thinking about meth? yeah whats on my mind 24/7 you may ask--drugs, alcohol, and sports...so i know what your going through, i have family in this sh*t too...if you ever wanna talk, im here.

CowanQueen said...
Its true. even I do it and I'm just playing. but, thanks for telling me now I know.

bea =] said...

Yea it may be hurtful to many but really what can you do about it...you can inform people about it ..they're not gonna care

people now a days are ignorant its not only with drugs but with illnesses for example breast cancer...those keep a breast wrist bands have been a trend.. but in reality its mocking breast cancer..its not anything to laugh about its a deadly disease and many women are affected by it every year.

mckittykat55 replied...
those bands support awareness, they mock nothing

Dimples said...
I think crack is for low lifes! if you have nothing better to dowith your lives then read book or something. Crack is bad. Once you get on crack, you cant stop. Go to rehab and get clean.

star8089 said...
yeah i know the feeling well, my father is a depressed, bipolar, alcholic pot addict. i found out four days ago, on july fifth, that my father has been addicted to pot since before my mother met him, and hes been smoking it all along behind our backs, and i only found out bekuz my brotehr has caught him several times and eventually my mom made my dad tell my brother what was going on, and no one intended on telling me until i forced my brother into explaining. where i live pot and crack and alco... (more »)

chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 said...
First of all, i would like to congratulate you on your article. It is really constructive, but I disagree with your article. I think that if people know you of course, they are not going to say it around you for what you have been through. But it is someone's choice if they want to say that quote. But they should think before they say it.

frenchfrie35 said...
I understand where you're coming from. But no matter what I do about this issue, I can't change it, I can't fix it. It still hurts me because it reminds me of what I experienced, how terrible it was and how there's still nothing I can do about it.

acousticalex This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Semantics. If someone chooses to smoke crack they have to accept the consequences of being socially looked down upon and seeing the pain of their relatives. Worst case scenario, offended people can get a poem out of their frustration or go on a run. It's not phrases like "Are you on crack?" that hurt people, it's the situation itself. So maybe instead of getting offended by little, nonspecific comments the relatives/addicts/randomly offended people should confront the issue i... (more »)

Nicole S. said...
I liked this article a lot. It's funny i never even relized how much it really effected me i guess. My dad is addict and a alcoholic. His "drug of choice" was always cocaine but when he was really bad he we would find stuff around the house and smells that my mom told me were from crack. A month before i turned 14, he was doing cocaine and long story short killed someone. Whenever people bring up these topics especially as jokes i just like get nervous, and when people talk and ... (more »)

frenchfrie35 replied...
It's hard to hear about it in any case, when people are serious though, it provides you with the opportunity to talk about it. When they're joking it's something different entirely. I'm sorry about your situation as well, just know that you're not alone.

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you for making me see the error of my ways. I've said things similar to this and never had a second-thought about it. For that I am sorry. I'll be sure to see things differently due to your eloquently written piece. It was truly marvelous and instilled such guilt within me that I was shaken after reading it. You relate so well with the reader! And I know someone with this much talent will not throw away their life to such an unworthy addiction. I'm very sorry about your fath... (more »)

ShaeMusicLover said...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 11:04 am
Thank you so much for writing this article. I have made jokes like this before and have never even given it a thought. Now I realize it can actually hurt people. I'll be sure to speak out when I hear someone make a comment like this from now on. Again, thanks, and your strength and wisdom really shine in this article.