Teen in Jail

Most people, kids and teens especially, have a negative stereotype of the type of kids who get involved in the “wrong crowd,” the kind who end up being arrested for the first time at age thirteen and face up to three and a half years in prison. Reading the blog “Teen in Jail” made me realize the fact that a gifted and caring kid can get into trouble just as easily as anyone else, maybe more easily because of the gifted part.

Ted is a teen who blogs from his prison cell by writing entries of his experiences and having his mom post them on the internet once she receives them. He hopes to educate others so that they don’t make the same mistakes he did. Once he gets out, he plans to change from a life of crime to one of education and a career.

Of his early school experiences, Ted says he “was very smart and could've done very well - it's just that I didn't care to try.”* Talented in writing and photography, he most likely would have had a successful career by now had he been challenged and motivated to learn by his teachers in school. Instead, he simply stopped going once he got to high school and turned to crime and drugs.

The lost potential is what saddens me most about Ted’s story. All it would have taken would be one teacher, someone who recognized his talents and encouraged him to share his writing and photography, to seize opportunities. Someone must have recognized his intelligence, but he wasn’t placed in a curriculum on his level.

There are so many gifted and talented kids in the United States who are bored with school, who don’t try, who don’t care because they were never challenged, never given a reason to strive for success. I hate to think that they will make mistakes like Ted. Just think of all those bright young people, stuck in prison cells instead of making new discoveries or creating the next great piece of art.

Everyone should read this kid’s blog (www.teeninjail.blogspot.com) to gain perspective, to avoid harmful decisions, and to help others stay on a good path. Kids like Ted shouldn’t ever end up in this situation.

* Source: http://teeninjail.blogspot.com/2009/08/school.html

11311 said...
Jan. 25, 2012 at 7:56 am
Aww thatss soo Sad. i Lo9ve u nd god bless u

Bob Saggot said...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 8:42 am

I will Agree with you my cousin kyle he live in michigan he just went to jail for maryjane he had a 10ft plant and i cut it down for his own sake he is 19

black-sapphire said...
very good...i like how you write, its real..

bnljack replied...

whos to say though that this was an error on him, and not the government for the incredible strict laws?

laws are not morals, and shouldnt be mistaken for them. laws arent allways right, and we as a society should question them more often.

bkmsss replied...
Sept. 2, 2011 at 8:45 am
i think the goverment is messed up if they would make drugs legal we wouldn't be in debt so much. they should get over it people are going to do drugs and drink and there is nothing they can do about it

A MOM said...
i HAVE A SON THAT WAS CHARGED WITH TRAFFICKING AND WAS SENTENCED TO 25 YEARS AT THE AGE OF 17.i AM GLAD YOU GOT THE CHANCE TO PROVE YOU ARE  A GOOD PERSON..WISH KE HAD THAT CHANCE..GOD BLESS

writer62 said...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 8:24 am
This is good. I like this point of view! Good job...

nothingbutme said...
i belive that it doesnt make you a bad person. I also belive there is a point when you have to help yourself or get help. Ive stoped a few of my friends from getting involved in things that well ruin thier future. sometimes a person just needs a friend.

ChErRiE=]13 said...
i agree totally with your opinion.. i have been to jail on many occasions and it doesn't make me a bad person.. things go wrong that 's just how life is.. it makes me upset that people automatically think your a bad person cause you have been to jail.. honestly alot of people have been there and you'd never kno it..

kellygurl365 said...
this is so true. i have a friend struggling and going throught the esact same thing and he is turning down the wrong road but i showed the person the blog and it was an amazing and unbelievable change. thank you

coco3ho3 replied...
do u want to be friends