Dear drugs and Alchohol

By Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado

Everything you have will someday be gone. Even if you don’t miss it now, you probably will later. So take pictures and hide them in your memories so you can recall them later after everything that is becomes everything that was. OR I know you’re hurting, even if it’s just when you’re alone and thoughts seem to rush into your head and you can’t seem to keep them from coming in. But there can be beauty in pain; Even though sometimes it’s hard to see.

Dear drugs and alcohol,

You make the most successful men your slave. You control millions of minds around the world. When their not on you they dream of you, and when they don’t have you they think of ways to steal you. You’re the reason why so many have lost loved ones. You’re a cause of cancer and major disorders. You’ve taken away peoples voices and their lungs. You’ve deteriorated people’s skin, glazed over their eyes, and robbed them of their youth. Pretended to help people through their problems, and gave false hope. You’ve foiled education and job opportunities, ruined marriages and left children to fend for themselves. You’ve caused violence, helped people fall through the cracks and lead and helped toward depression. You’ve built and helped economies, and gave people jobs. You’ve healed some but killed so many more and made billions of dollars. The world hates you but they can’t live without you.

Love,

Someone who doesn’t love you

on Sep. 13 2010 at 3:51 pm
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida

"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)

Yes the people ruin themselves but its because of the drugs and alcohol that it happens. If drugs and alcohol didnt exist i can promise you this world would be better

on Sep. 12 2010 at 6:20 pm
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado

I just want to address something that when you are surfing through the opinion part of teenink it means that the articles are opinionated and are about a very specific point of view. The title of my paper is Dear drugs and alcohol (with the world alcohol misspelled because I'm an idiot.) Which means the focus of my paper is drugs and alcohol. It's not labeled The reason why there is suffering in the world is because of drugs. If it were then yes I would be closed minded. But it's not so I wouldn't say I'm closed minded. I'm simply stating one of many things that can bring sadness into people's lives, and yes I know that drugs and alcohol can make people happy as well. I'm speaking abuse here. Not the occasional recreational use of them.

Now onto the rest of you're comment you're very correct, a lot of other things can wreck lives, stripe youth and devastate families. The point of this paper wasn't to say that drugs and alcohol are the only things that do that. Also people don't CHOSE to fall into addiction. It's something that just happens. And yes many people are addicted to caffeine. -However sugar technically doesn't fit under the definition of addiction which is why I left it out.- But caffeine doesn't cause people to steal from loved ones, and you can't overdose on it so you can't really compare that to heroine. Plus I would say if heroine was as easy to come into contact with as caffeine it would be just as addictive. After all they do have some similarities in the effects of wanting more of it right after you've already had some. But heroine messes you up a lot  more than caffeine does. But I agree with you if someone wants to give their lives up for something they will, but most of the time with drugs it's not like they took it their first time and went. "Good now I can become addicted and ruin my life." But the same goes for the people who dedicate their lives to a career. But in that case they normally spend all their time at work to earn money for their family so they can live a good life. Whereas drugs it becomes very self centered. Also about your 'another note' part I agree in a sense. But I want to add that a lot of people fall into addiction because of peer pressure as well. 

on Sep. 12 2010 at 5:46 pm
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado

NickizCrazy, you also have to keep in mind how people viewed drugs back in the time that Thomas Jefferson was alive. People thought that these drugs would help the person out like cocaine, they said it didn't have any addictive tendencies even after multiple uses and that if you smoked cigarettes it would keep you healthy.

on Sep. 12 2010 at 4:56 pm
Mia_Stinetuck PLATINUM, Covina, California

"I use to get high on life, til I found it was cut with morons"

Of all the close minded snuff... Dedication to a career can wreck lives, stripe youth and devistate families just as easily. People fall to addiction because its something that dont have; sugar, caffiene, an addiction stronger then heroine with, I don't know, only a world full of abusers out there? If people want to give thier lives up to something, they will. Doesnt always have to be a socailly unacceptable substance, thats just the easiest  option as people always want to be more then what they are. Its not the drug at fault, but man kinds own inheritant nature for creation and destruction.

Another note, theres almost always depression before a drug is used for emotional reasons. Its merely magnified by withdrawl and socail guilt.

NickizCrazy said...
on Sep. 9 2010 at 10:18 pm
NickizCrazy, JK, Wisconsin

If you guys didn't know, Thomas Jefferson was a chronic marijuana smoker and he wrote one of our nations most important documents.

Also, George Washington's number one crop on his plantation at home was marijuana. just saying. i dont support drugs like lsd and heroine but cmon, marijuana is not bad. It makes life more beautiful and the user more calm and peaceful. Maybe it's because i can control myself and am not pathetic enough to let it get to my head, but i don't see a problem with using marijuana or drinking on occasion.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 1:15 pm
StarlightStormcloud, Pasadena, California
This is silly.  Drugs and Alcohol don't ruin people.  People ruin themselves.  

coly33 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 5 2010 at 2:15 pm
coly33 BRONZE, Lyndhurst, New Jersey

wow this wondrerful but makes me sad for all of those ppl who r addicted to drugs and alchol and ppl how invented these should feel really bad for what they have done to all these ppl it really is sad for all the lives lost and ruined from drugs and alchol     :(

:)

on Jul. 8 2010 at 11:17 pm
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado

I put alcohol into this article because when it's used excessively like anything it becomes bad. I've seen how families are effected by people who have become alcoholics and I've seen how the path that those alcoholics have gone on is a sad one. So I personally found it important to put it into my piece. But I understand where you are coming from, and I don't think that alcohol is always bad, nor do I think that some drugs are bad. But I'm talking about extreme cases in which the drug takes control of the person, not the person taking control of the the drug. 

Iranon said...
on Jul. 8 2010 at 11:42 am

I understand all of your points, and manke no mistake that i am against drugs, but the fact that alchohol has been grouped in with this makes me side with silevryn. Ive seen drunk people make some pretty amazing art, and they've all managed pretty well for themselves.

Several people in my family own a brewery and i dont like how people always assume in articles like this that beer has the same effects as crack. Maybe thats why i have this opinion, or maybe its because its the truth. either way.

on Jul. 7 2010 at 5:20 pm
Hippiechick10 SILVER, One Stoplight Town, Connecticut

Those who deny freedom to others , deserve it not for themselves. (Abe Lincoln)

Hey JWVon- I agree with you. Most people use drugs for an abusive purpose. Silevryn, not all weak people may use drugs. Strong minded people might want to use them to become looking even braver. It does not make sense to some, but a person may feel weak though they are strong and use drugs.( Not that they should)

on Jul. 6 2010 at 5:05 pm

You wrote this with the air of a poet, almost. Amazing how something can ruin a life so quickly. Drugs truly do hurt people. There was a book I read that talked about a happy, young boy. He started smoking, unaware of the dangers. He was a bright child, yet became killed and corrupted by drugs. Soon, he began to smoke Marijauna, and the boy was dealing with many problems then. He commanded his dog to bite his best friend, and was horrified at what he had done after. The drugs made him do wrong things, gave him a temper. He became friends with a drug dealer, was arrested multiple times as he grew up, yet couldn't stop. He drank. Used crack. When he used heroine in his teens or twenties, he was panicked and needed help. He contacted his family, and they set up counseling. Unfortanately, the boy couldn't resist one last snort of heroine. And he said,"Everything will be all right tommorow." And when he finished his sniff, he died of a heart attack with his dog, Sunny, on his chest.

LittleBit said...
on Jul. 3 2010 at 1:04 pm
I love the way you approched this subject. YOu made drugs look bad, and wrote an appealing article. Kudos!

on Jun. 14 2010 at 5:21 pm
Kristen_Jean GOLD, Bloomer, Wisconsin

"I walked away,
not because I wanted to leave,
but because I wanted to see if you would try to catch me.
And when you didn't,
I had the strongest urge to turn around and come back...again.
But I didn't.
I just kept on walking."

I loved this, i actually almost cried, because my parents use drugs and I've seen the worse things pot do to people...

JWVon BRONZE said...
on Jun. 6 2010 at 6:55 pm
JWVon BRONZE, Atascadero, California

"So this leads me to my camera, which was hidden with my phone but was found and put here, so it's useless." - my cousin when we went on a National Treasure-esque hunt to find her phone.

I agree that drugs could be used to make art and all that but honestly not many people use drugs for that purpose.

fh4life BRONZE said...
on May. 25 2010 at 11:31 am
fh4life BRONZE, Na, New York
Great job! I really liked this

on May. 1 2010 at 10:59 pm
caseyanne13 PLATINUM, SM, California

"You are no better than the bottle you are drinking from if you do nothing to stop the flow."

really well said. nice job.

on Apr. 17 2010 at 8:44 pm
Silevryn BRONZE, Osceola, Missouri

"The world hasn't become more violent, it's become more televised"

look at the majority of artists throuought history. alot of their best pieces were created under the influence of drugs or alchohol. the beatles for instance used LSD to create some of their best songs. without the drugs the lives of that generation would be drasticly different and the world we live in right now would be drasticly different. Drugs and alchohol expand the mind when used propperly. when used impropperly they destroy the mind they might have inspired.

on Apr. 17 2010 at 3:06 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

And how do drugs and alcohol create beauty?

on Apr. 17 2010 at 11:02 am
Silevryn BRONZE, Osceola, Missouri

Is it the tool's fault that it is what it is? Is the knife to blame for being a knife? Is it held responsible for cutting, or is the hand that holds it responsible? Drugs and alchohol are tools. In the right hands they can be used to create beauty, ands in irresponsible hands they destroy them. Dont blame them for their use by the weak minded and irresponsible.

on Apr. 11 2010 at 7:23 pm
Schnoodlebear SILVER, Ballwin, Missouri

"Do what you love and love what you do

Excellent picece of writing! It's creative yet informing in a way. Very good. Keep it up! Your work just might be published.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!