Dear drugs and Alchohol This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Dear drugs and alcohol,

You make the most successful men your slave. You control millions of minds around the world. When their not on you they dream of you, and when they don’t have you they think of ways to steal you. You’re the reason why so many have lost loved ones. You’re a cause of cancer and major disorders. You’ve taken away peoples voices and their lungs. You’ve deteriorated people’s skin, glazed over their eyes, and robbed them of their youth. Pretended to help people through their problems, and gave false hope. You’ve foiled education and job opportunities, ruined marriages and left children to fend for themselves. You’ve caused violence, helped people fall through the cracks and lead and helped toward depression. You’ve built and helped economies, and gave people jobs. You’ve healed some but killed so many more and made billions of dollars. The world hates you but they can’t live without you.

Love,

Someone who doesn’t love you

StarlightStormcloud said...
This is silly.  Drugs and Alcohol don't ruin people.  People ruin themselves.  

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm :
i so agree with you freewriter_123. people wouldnt have the chance to ruin themselves with these thing if they werent everywhere.

coly33 said...

wow this wondrerful but makes me sad for all of those ppl who r addicted to drugs and alchol and ppl how invented these should feel really bad for what they have done to all these ppl it really is sad for all the lives lost and ruined from drugs and alchol     :(

:)

Hippiechick10 said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm:
You wrote this with the air of a poet, almost. Amazing how something can ruin a life so quickly. Drugs truly do hurt people. There was a book I read that talked about a happy, young boy. He started smoking, unaware of the dangers. He was a bright child, yet became killed and corrupted by drugs. Soon, he began to smoke Marijauna, and the boy was dealing with many problems then. He commanded his dog to bite his best friend, and was horrified at what he had done after. The drugs made him do wrong t... (more »)

LittleBit said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 1:04 pm:
I love the way you approched this subject. YOu made drugs look bad, and wrote an appealing article. Kudos!

fh4life said...
May 25, 2010 at 11:31 am:
Great job! I really liked this

caseyanne13 said...
May 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm:
really well said. nice job.

Silevryn said...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 11:02 am:
Is it the tool's fault that it is what it is? Is the knife to blame for being a knife? Is it held responsible for cutting, or is the hand that holds it responsible? Drugs and alchohol are tools. In the right hands they can be used to create beauty, ands in irresponsible hands they destroy them. Dont blame them for their use by the weak minded and irresponsible.

This*Lit*Is*BananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm :
And how do drugs and alcohol create beauty?

Silevryn replied...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 8:44 pm :
look at the majority of artists throuought history. alot of their best pieces were created under the influence of drugs or alchohol. the beatles for instance used LSD to create some of their best songs. without the drugs the lives of that generation would be drasticly different and the world we live in right now would be drasticly different. Drugs and alchohol expand the mind when used propperly. when used impropperly they destroy the mind they might have inspired.

JWVon replied...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 6:55 pm :
I agree that drugs could be used to make art and all that but honestly not many people use drugs for that purpose.

Hippiechick10 replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 5:20 pm :
Hey JWVon- I agree with you. Most people use drugs for an abusive purpose. Silevryn, not all weak people may use drugs. Strong minded people might want to use them to become looking even braver. It does not make sense to some, but a person may feel weak though they are strong and use drugs.( Not that they should)

Iranon replied...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:42 am :

I understand all of your points, and manke no mistake that i am against drugs, but the fact that alchohol has been grouped in with this makes me side with silevryn. Ive seen drunk people make some pretty amazing art, and they've all managed pretty well for themselves.

Several people in my family own a brewery and i dont like how people always assume in articles like this that beer has the same effects as crack. Maybe thats why i have this opinion, or maybe its because its the truth. ei... (more »)

Darkstar6265 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:17 pm :
I put alcohol into this article because when it's used excessively like anything it becomes bad. I've seen how families are effected by people who have become alcoholics and I've seen how the path that those alcoholics have gone on is a sad one. So I personally found it important to put it into my piece. But I understand where you are coming from, and I don't think that alcohol is always bad, nor do I think that some drugs are bad. But I'm talking about extreme cases in which the drug takes cont... (more »)

NickizCrazy replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 10:18 pm :

If you guys didn't know, Thomas Jefferson was a chronic marijuana smoker and he wrote one of our nations most important documents.

Also, George Washington's number one crop on his plantation at home was marijuana. just saying. i dont support drugs like lsd and heroine but cmon, marijuana is not bad. It makes life more beautiful and the user more calm and peaceful. Maybe it's because i can control myself and am not pathetic enough to let it get to my head, but i don't see a problem with... (more »)

Sept. 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm :
NickizCrazy, you also have to keep in mind how people viewed drugs back in the time that Thomas Jefferson was alive. People thought that these drugs would help the person out like cocaine, they said it didn't have any addictive tendencies even after multiple uses and that if you smoked cigarettes it would keep you healthy.

Schnoodlebear said...
Excellent picece of writing! It's creative yet informing in a way. Very good. Keep it up! Your work just might be published.

frnkplss55 said...
You are very talented and I thank you for writing this piece.  I totally understand your point and I applaude you that you don't love and live with drugs in your personal life. Keep writing:)

GigglyAmber said...
Apr. 5, 2010 at 10:38 am:
This is amazing.I feel the same way. I relate to this because I have wanted to go down the road of drugs. I know that the examples that u've pointed out are some of my future consequencs. You really touced me with this.

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 10:44 am:
I like it. But the end is a tad confusing..you're against drugs and alchohal right?

Apr. 5, 2010 at 12:41 am :
Yes, you are correct I am against drugs and alcohol. The ending is to show that even though many people may not like drugs/alcohol that they have a place in our society and they rake in billions of dollars that go toward things that we need/want; like rehab, hospital visits, prescribed medication, liquor stores, etc... which in tail helps our economy. So, in that way if drugs and alcohol were to disappear we would lose a lot of money and our economy would/could crash. (Ex: Google Pablo Escobar h... (more »)