Harmful Drugs and Drug Use: Causing Death and Suffering Throughout the World | Teen Ink

Harmful Drugs and Drug Use: Causing Death and Suffering Throughout the World

May 23, 2022
By mestockel01 BRONZE, Superior, Colorado
mestockel01 BRONZE, Superior, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine a world where your brain is being altered, where you can’t think straight, where your body has to suffer because of your actions.  This is happening to people everyday.  More and more people are suffering and dying due to harmful drugs and drug overdose.  Yes, the actions of those people caused them to be in this state but if more laws were enforced less people will die.  In 18 USA states and Washington DC, marijuana is legalized.  Marijuana causes your brain to be altered and overdose deaths have risen drastically from 2019 to 2020.  But the government still hasn’t enforced laws to stop it.  The government and states need to create more laws against harmful drugs.


When people use marijuana they get put into a phase known as marijuana use disorder.  When put into this phase, people can’t get out of it even when it is devastating to their body.  According to CDC, “The cannabis plant contains more than 100 compounds. These compounds include THC, which is impairing, mind-altering, as well as other active compounds, such as CBD.”  When marijuana is used everyday people start to feel sick, confused, or very uneasy.  


During the Coronavirus pandemic the amount of deaths from drug overdosing went up higher than previous years.  In 2020 alone, an estimated 91,799 deaths from drug overdose were reported. Then in 2021 around 100,000 deaths from overdosing were reported, and more than 100,000 deaths estimated.  This was a big change from 2015 when about only 50,000 deaths were reported and estimated.  Since 2015 (and before) the amount of overdose deaths has doubled and is still increasing to this day. 


If the government doesn’t start creating enforcement laws against drugs, then the number of deaths is going to reach extreme highs.  These drugs are ghastly and do awful things to your body.  Yes, sometimes these drugs make you feel good; but what about what is really happening inside of your body.  It's all mind altering, when you think you're getting stronger, you're actually getting worse.  When you think your brain is fine, it's actually suffering under the heavy weight of the drug(s).  The government needs to quickly start enforcing the laws that they already have against drugs.  Laws like: making marijuana illegal in the states where it is legal.  The citizens can: take mental health lessons to help heal their body from the drug(s).  It is not an easy thing to change society like this, but it is urgently needed.  People are dying more often every day because of drugs, what the world needs is action now.  We need a safe world where we can all live without needing to be afraid.


Works Cited:


CDC. “Health Effects of Marijuana | Marijuana | CDC.” Www.cdc.gov, 14 Sept. 2021, www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects/index.html.  Accessed on March 16, 2022


National Institute on Drug Abuse. “Overdose Death Rates.” National Institute on Drug Abuse, 20 Jan. 2022, nida.nih.gov/drug-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates.  Accessed on March 30, 2022


The author's comments:

I am a 7th grade girl who loves to read, play soccer, and hang out with friends.  Throughout my life I want to make a difference in the world and help people and/or animals in need.