Top Voted Articles About Discrimination

Here is the top voted articles about discrimination:

voted
#1
What Is An American? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When I asked my father this question, he laughed and shook his head. I have a knack for asking the hard ones. But as our nation struggles with the issue of illegal immigration, we don’t bother to ask this of ourselves. The first time this... (more »)
67 comments
voted
#2
The Science of Bias This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
“Any discrimination, like sharp turns in a road, becomes critical because of the tremendous speed at which we are traveling into the high-tech world of a service economy,” said Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. Inequality among humans is... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#3
Sexism in Fantasyland This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
And so the story ends. The dashing prince in his tasseled, shoulder-padded suit bends down to kiss her lips. He swoops her up in his arms and gingerly places her on the white stallion. Then the perfect couple gallops toward the prince's lavish... (more »)
83 comments
voted
#4
Ditch the Black-and-White TV This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
When Disney announced that it was going to make a movie featuring Disney's first African-American princess, there was great excitement. And even more exciting, the heroine of “The Princess and the Frog,” Princess Tiana, was to fall in love... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#5
Tainted Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Can you imagine not being allowed to marry the person you love? Well, this is precisely what same-sex couples are told every day in our country. Although the California Supreme Court has ruled that it is legal for homosexual couples to marry,... (more »)
22 comments
voted
#6
Huck Finn This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn has been controversial ever since its release in 1884. It has been called everything from the root of modern American literature to a piece of racist trash. The greatest controversy, however, comes... (more »)
10 comments
voted
#7
Speak Up, Kid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I've been 18 for half a year now, long enough to know that being 18 is really no different from being 17. Sure, I'm a legal adult, but what does it matter if the government considers me an adult when my parents don't? Turning 18 isn't a magical... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#8
Grandfather Knows Best This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Sugar, you need to listen to Granddaddy. I've been around longer than you, and you need to trust that I know better than you.” This statement is how my grandfather ends most of our debates over issues of race, homosexuality, and the... (more »)
voted
#9
Understanding White Privilege This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The majority of the U.S. population, including me, is white and privileged. While the advantages bestowed upon white Americans are not always obvious, white privilege can be seen everywhere. Blogs like “thisiswhiteprivilege” aim to... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#10
Cultural Theft This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In clothing stores, fashion magazines, and even Halloween parties, cultural theft is occurring: elements of indigenous cultures are morphed into fashion trends and costumes for those who will never understand their significance. “Navajo print”... (more »)
voted
#11
Hollaback Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I’m walking down the street on a bright August day when a car horn blares beside me. “Hey gorgeous!” The deep voice sends chills down my spine. By now I know to keep looking straight ahead. Reacting will encourage him.... (more »)