Color of People

By Toualee SILVER, Sacramento, California
Toualee SILVER, Sacramento, California

They say love is blind
oh baby you so blind

Why does racism exist? In the old days racism was very harsh, people died. Racism is more than just words, it can hurt people and cause deaths.

I experience racism was when I was in my childhood. It was Halloween that day, it was after school and we could wear our costumes to go trick or treat in the school. My costume was a skeleton and I didn’t wear my mask. To get some candy we had to go to a teacher’s classroom and wait out the door. I went to this “white lady” classroom door, I took out my plastic bag, hold it out, waiting for some candies to get passed on me but I didn’t get any. There were a bunch of kids beside me and they were all “white”. I waited two or three minutes for some candies but I didn’t get any. I was right in front of her and I didn’t get anything. The kids got some candies but I didn’t. When she ran out of candies, she just went back to her classroom and shut the door. I was hella mad but I got some candies from the other teachers.

“Aren’t you in a gang?” “ Is it because I’m mexican?”

Even though there are many races in America, racism still exist and it hurts those whose color is different. I’m asian and I’m proud of what I am. Even though sometimes people were racist to me it’s alright because that’ll never go away.

What inspired me about this piece is that racism is a problem and it needs to end.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!