So Next Time | Teen Ink

So Next Time

By CassJoy BRONZE, Bismarck, North Dakota
CassJoy BRONZE, Bismarck, North Dakota

"If you have knowledge in many areas, you have less fear. For the only power that can be used against a knowledgeable person is ignorance."

In every person there is a little bit of a writer. Someone that wishes to express their inner self in words, but aren’t able to put it down on paper in the way others put things. As someone who writes quite a bit there are some days that I don’t know how to express how I truly feel on paper. Artists can put their emotions on canvas and it creates something beautiful. Musicians are able to play their feelings out by playing notes that make a song that expresses who they are. But writers have a hard time put their ideas on paper, no one word big enough to express their feelings, not a long enough sentence that truly expresses how we feel. The words swirl on the page before us as we try to make sense of the mess inside of our heads. The musicians and artists taunt us with their talents of expression as we sit at our desks trying to make words fit how we feel. So when we finally put what we feel on paper it has taken us time, thought and emotion to do so. We put our work out there just like musicians and artists do, but when people criticize our work it hurts - worse than anything you could say about our attire, our financial circumstances, our eating habits, our every waking breath, because we put our heart and soul into writing that poem, that story, that one word. These are our emotions on the line and standing next to those emotions is our dreams. So tear us down, criticize our every word, say that our work is worthless, but really you are just tearing us down and jeopardizing our dreams, ideas and futures. So next time you criticize my work, the next time you tell me that you didn’t like that article, the next time that you talk down about my work you are really talking down on my emotions, on my feelings. So next time, don’t let there be a next time.

I wrote this article after some of my work had been criticized in a public manner. These pieces were apart of who I was and the person that said the demeaning things did not realize that those were a real person's feelings and what had really happened to me. They took what was painful in the first place and tore open that wound just because they could. I want to share with others that when you tell someone something about their article or piece of work is bad or that it is unrealistic you are bringing them down, so next time just don’t.