Media Bullies | Teen Ink

Media Bullies

By KayS04 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KayS04 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I had a friend who loved every part of herself. She was always taking pictures and posting them online. She was pretty inside and out and she believed it. Than, one day, someone commented on her newest post. It was a mirror selfie showing off her new outfit. The comment was very hateful towards her body type. It ruined her. She became very insecure. The comments didn’t stop. It got so bad she tried to end her life. All because some bully said a really nasty comment about her.

Bullying is a serious problem. Not everyone knows they’re doing it, especially over the internet. Someone might say something they thought was funny, but the person receiving the comment might not see it as a joke. Emotions don’t show through a computer screen! Bullying needs to stop and this is how.

Everyone copes with being bullied differently. Some bully others, while others hide their emotions inside. Most people hurt themselves, because they don’t think they’re worth it. They listen to the bullies words and think that’s all they are. They hurt themselves by burning, cutting, starving, and suicide. Suicide is the third leading cause of death in teenagers.

Cyber bullying is any sort of bullying but online. Comments that seem funny could hurt someone else. 95% of teens see bullying happen but chose not to do anything according to NoBullying in 2016. These people are called bystanders. Being a bystander is also considered bullying. Whether they’re standing there wanting to help the bullied person or they’re laughing at the bully; they’re bullying too, because they are watching and not helping.
We can stop this though! It only takes one person. Be that person! All you gotta do is understand, respect, and watch out. Understanding what the bullied person is going through is a big help; get in their shoes. Knowing the ‘golden rule’ “Treat others the way you want to be treated,” is a sign of respect. Respecting everyone and everything won’t cause a fuss or fight. Finally, watching out. If bullying is happening online, in the halls, outside of school, inside the classroom- STOP IT! Simply say “You’re bullying,” then tell a teacher/counselor and they’ll handle it from there.

Bullying is a serious problem and it needs to be stopped. Too many teens have to go through heartache over bullying. Some people lose their best friends from it, others deal with the consequences of doing it, and it only takes one to stop it. My friend still deals with cyber bullies today. I’m always there for her when she needs me, so she doesn’t go down that dark path again. No one should have to go through what she did. Take this to heart and end bullying for good.