Inequality | Teen Ink

Inequality

By Derricka16 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Derricka16 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Equality is being able to have the same rights and opportunities as anyone else. Yet, why is it that women aren't totally equal in the world we live in. I feel that Inequality is a prominent issue in today's society that enables women to struggle with things such as body images.

What is body images and appearance to the world? In society, in order for a women to be beautiful she must have the “perfect beach body” and beautiful long hair that goes down her back. So carrying a little more weight on you and not being able to grow long hair makes you less beautiful? You don't see heavily built women in magazines. You don't see these women in Victoria Secret commercials. However, you see these women who are portraying to be happy just to have a little money in their pocket.

Some people say that it's more appealing to the man's eyes to see a skinny women. Also it will allow companies to get more sales because of the “perfect appearance”. But, what about younger generations? What if the children watching these commercials and seeing these magazines now feel like they aren't good enough because they may have that a little extra belly fat and wear a size 12 instead of an Zero? It all doesn't make sense to me.
Just imagine a teen girl who wants to become a model and auditions for a modeling spot and she cannot get it because of her body image. It's devastating. How dare you you tell someone they cannot model because of their shape, sizes, and different shades of beauty? I say personality makes a women beautiful. One who knows her value and worth. One who doesn't rely on the tummy tuck and implants. One who is confident.

This world is unequal to women and we shouldn't tolerate it. We have to stay strong for each other. We must not let the world deprive us from doing what we love to do. We should continue to be comfortable in our own skin and enjoy whatever may come with it.