Is America Really the Land of the Free? | Teen Ink

Is America Really the Land of the Free?

January 13, 2017
By Jordanfeastman BRONZE, Unalaska , Alaska
Jordanfeastman BRONZE, Unalaska , Alaska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I don’t understand why peoples skin color matter. We are all made with the same kinds of cells, they are just mixed up a little bit. Unfortunately the chains of judgment are still shackling us today. We all have a gray base how can you judge white from black. You don’t get beautiful colors without mixing colors together. Red and yellow makes orange. Blue and red make purple. White and black makes gray. And so on. What makes someone think they’re better than someone with a different color skin? Or for that matter why is blue for boys and pink for girls?


People say that you can’t be a different gender than the body you’re in. but how do we know? How do we know how they feel if we personally haven’t dealt with it. If we are the land of the free shouldn’t we be able to be ourselves and express our individuality.


Yes I understand that woman have breasts but they are natural. They are part of an amazing thing, called LIFE. They feed our children. Woman shouldn’t have to feel ashamed from breast feeding their children in public. Most mothers cover themselves with a nursing blanket, there is no need for all of the dirty looks that many mothers get while providing food for their child.
 

God forbid if I wear something where you can see my collarbone because it is distracting, and not appropriate. Teenage girls who are 5’4 and shorter have an advantage over the rest of us because they can wear a “short” dress and get away with it. The second I try to wear a “short” dress the school makes me go home and change the issue is not the length of my dress the issue is my body is no longer my own.


Can you tell me what happened if America is the land of the free? Even today, no one is free. No one is free to be themselves without people judging them. Teenage girls are changing themselves completely just so they can look like Kylie Jenner. They want her pouty lips and high cheek bones. They want to look like her because that is the beauty standard now. Fake, fake breasts, fake butt. Makeup to cover up the natural beauty. Because that is what woman think men find attractive now days. That is what thirteen year old insecure girls are seeing all over social media.


Tell me what makes me different than a man besides a few small things. I can do anything a man can do, I can go to work and make money, and I can work on cars I can pay the bills. But at the same time men can stay home and take care of the kids and clean the house and do the shopping. Why does America have set standards if we are the land of the free? Are we not all equal? If we are free then there should be of judgment towards people of other colors, gender differences would no longer be shackled by the chains of judgment. 


The author's comments:

i wrote this for the MLK contest at my school. i hope you enjoy.