How America Discriminates and Abuses Its Power | Teen Ink

How America Discriminates and Abuses Its Power

By rgreen BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
rgreen BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey

According to Mapping Police Violence, that’s how many unarmed black people were killed by police in 2015 alone. In America people believe that we are all equal and that everyone is the same. Since the founding of America black people have been oppressed and exploited. In 2016 black people are born with a disadvantage in America although minorities have more power than before. In America (the land of the free) there is still a big race barrier between America. America abuses its power by putting  African Americans at a disadvantage in the American society.

We are called the United States of America but we are not united at all.Just one quinquagenarian white people were at the top of and black people were at the bottom. Today in 2016 black people are being treated much better but still we are looked at differently. Many people that don’t understand are afraid of black people in fear that they will harm them in someway.

Furthermore, Washington Post states that In America we hold almost 25 of the world’s prisoners but 70% of people in American prisons are black. That’s because 1 in 3 black will go to prison in their lifetime while 1 in 17 white people  go to jail in their lifetime and in these prisons they are being exploited . This is because many police see black people as a threat. Researcher from  University of Hawai‘i and Rutgers University discovered that jury members are more attentive to black faces.

In America, school can be more challenging for people of color because the school systems may make it harder for them to graduate, according to governing in New Jersey black kids only have a 73% chance graduating High School while white kids have a 93% chance of graduateing high school.  The Journal of blacks in Higher Educations black women only have a 46% Chance that the will graduate college that is very disappointing but worse than that is that black men have only a 35% chance of graduating.

Finally in America there is still a barrier that separates races and religions. We are discriminated against by the people that think that are better. It tares up apart as a country when we are apart, we have to try to make everyone equal. From helping people in school,and in financial aid. It is sad in 2016 not everyone is seen as equal, we even elected a president (Donald Trump) that discriminates against others races. To conclude the United states in the not United at all by treating minorities bad.