Let Us through | Teen Ink

Let Us through

By SabrinaMcCrear BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
SabrinaMcCrear BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey

“Who runs the world, girls!” - Beyonce

The famous line from Beyonce’s, three-time award-winning, song represents the power and drive of the female population. As she is a strong female figure and a well-respected role model for younger generations; she strives to encourage girls of all ages to stand up and fight for what they deserve. She supports multiple foundations that advocate for women to revolt against the glass ceiling. The Glass Ceiling is a familiar phrase that is used to identify the barrier that prevents females and other minorities from prevailing in their careers and education. Women of all races are impeded by society's ideal impression that men are superior. Even now, women are diminished and continue to be objectified and seen as inferior to men. This has been passed through multiple generations and is affecting our youth today by disesteeming them. The Glass Ceiling prevents women from exceeding in the workforce due to the abundance of men with aristocratic positions. Women are undermined, but have had countless examples of: tenacious, influential, epitomic, leaders that have put us on the path we are today. A path towards liberty, for all women.

In the event,  when women were allowed the right to vote - in 1920 through the nineteenth amendment - then, and only then, was a legislation passed enabling them the ability to work. Although the amendment did allow them to vote and pursue a career, women continued to fight for their rights, as they were not yet considered equal to men. After countless efforts and protests, they were lead to believe that their efforts were prevailing. At the time of President Obama’s term, Michelle Obama lead various awareness campaigns to attend to the currently progressing gap of human rights between men in women. Not only was she involved in the fight to close this gap, but so were many otherwell-knownn female figures such as Hillary Clinton, Oprah, Coretta Scott King, Ellen Page, Malala Yousafzai, and many more. This powerful and inspirational up hill battle has come to a halt, as our current President Trump has made dozens of hateful, sexist, and insulting comments towards women. Some of which are to horrible to repeat unlike when he says, “I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't  even wait”. The Washington Post quoted this in an article titled “Trump Recorded Having Extremely Lewd Conversations About Women in 2005”. Here he refers to women as something he is attracted to, which a lot of men are, but faults when he say that he doesn’t wait. In this statement he is claiming that he commits sexual assault as if it was nothing. This being one of his less inappropriate comments, not that it isn't offensive, but it was part of an extensive ¨locker room¨ talk conversation between him and Bill Clinton a couple years ago. These comments were made leading up to his presidency and are continuing. President Trump is bound to exploit his power and have it oppose everything our previous president has done to help the U.S. and unite us as a country.
Furthermore, President Trump was not only making disgusting remarks about women, but has indeed committed acts of sexual assault to multiple women. A few of his victims were brave enough to speak up about what he did. One of the being Natasha Stoynoff who reported the assault to her editor where she was removed from the case. According to People Magazine, Natasha was being given a tour of the Trump residency during an interview, while Melanie - his wife - went to change outfits. Then she describes being alone with Trump and him “forcing his tongue down [her] throat”.  This concludes to a much more broad topic on rape and sexual assault. 1 out of every 6 women are victims of sexual assault in America, as reported by the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network. Men have exploited women knowing that women have been oppressed and that men are considered the superior gender. What isn’t being understood is that they are not the superior gender. Men, Women, or neither, are all people none the less, and they should be justified liberty.

In a like manner, girls are being taught, from a young age, that they are subordinate. Which plays a huge role in self-esteem of kids of all ages, but has much more of an impact on girls aged 15 to 17. Referring back to Beyoncé and the multiple campaigns she supports for gender equality, one of them being Ban Bossy. The campaign highlights the importance of differentiating bossy with leadership. Beyonce’s famous line from this campaign is, “I’m not bossy. I’m the boss.” This is inspirational! Girls do not only have the potential to be highly intelligent, but they can be leaders that inspire others to be leaders. Then we could have a world full of young and empowered leaders! This campaign also attend girls fear of being judged by their appearance and not by what's in their heads. ‘Causing their self-esteem to drop 3.5 more than boys between elementary and high school, as stated in the campaign. Not only that, but previous records of female grade averages were higher in lower grades, surpassing male average grades. The test that was designed in the 1960’s according to Women’s International Center. The test also observed how female grade averages dropped in high school because parents and teachers focused less on girls education because they believed it insignificant; when a young girl becomes a women she is supposed to bare children and do housework. This 21st century, women can be doctors, lawyers, and engineers. There is no limit to what they can do. So why are we trying to diminish them and say they can’t. They can! Girls have the potential to go to the moon and back, yet society doesn’t allow it because that is not “what a girl does”. Here is a perfect example of how outside influences have pushed women and girls, of all races, to their breaking point. They are finally revolting against the oppression that they had to endure for centuries.

Of course, women are fully capable of exceeding the Glass Ceiling and are more than qualified to surpass anyone in the workforce. Although, it is heavily debated upon that females are incapable of exceeding a male and lack intellectual and physical qualities. Believe it or not, a significant amount of the population is in favor of reverting to gender roles before the 1900’s. During that period of time men would acquire income while women stayed at home with their children and tended to their residence. There are people who have been labeled misogynists as a result to having their minds poisoned by society’s sentiment towards the female figure.  However, many beg to differ that women, in fact, do not lack intellectual and physical qualities. They claim that it is the selfish frame of mind that men do not want to divide the power that they have occupied since the beginning of time. Women make up 57% of the workforce, as reported by the United States Department of Labor. The percentage of women participants has risen by almost half since the 1950’s, where it was only 34%. The most recent percentage was from 2015 where there was a 56.7% participant rate amongst women in the workforce. The increase between then and now is a huge step forward.

As a community of strong leaders and open-minded youth, we must continue to overcome this fictitious mind set that society has shaped over centuries. We should plan to take action to break down these barriers. It not only affects women, but other minorities including people of color and other religious groups. We must look past our exterior and begin to understand that we are all one race, the human race. Therefore we all deserve the same opportunities and are entitled to our constitutional rights. How civilization created the image of superior to inferior is far behind us. This is the generation that will prevail. This is the generation that will rid humanity of it's unrealistic views on all minorities. None of us are superior to one another and not one of us should be able to wield enough power to make another feel less than they are.

Bibliography
"Ban Bossy. Encourage Girls to Lead." Ban Bossy. Encourage Girls to Lead. N.p., n.d. Web. 18
Dec. 2016
Bahadur, Nina. "7 Things to Know If You Think Women Are Equal To Men." The Huffington Post.   
The Huffingtonpost,Inc., 10 Sept. 2015. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.
Center, Womens International. "WIC - Women's History in America." WIC - Women's History in
America. Comptons New Medis, Inc., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016
"Data & Statistics." Data & Statistics. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016
"Empowering Women in Business - The Glass Ceiling - Feminist Majority
Foundation."Empowering
Women in Business - The Glass Ceiling - Feminist Majority Foundation. Feminists Majority
Foundation, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016
Fahrenthold, David A. "Trump Recorded Having Extremely Lewd Conversation about Women in
2005." The Washington Post. WP Company, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016
Fisher, By Lauren Alexis, Julie Kosin, and By Julie Kosin. "25 Inspiring Women Who Changed
The Face of Feminism." Harper's BAZAAR. Hearts and Communication, Inc., 03 Aug. 2016. Web. 18 Dec. 2016
Kimble, Lindsay. "Everything You Need to Know About the Sexual Assault Allegations Against
Donald Trump Before Election Day." PEOPLE. N.p., 01 Nov. 2016. Web. 21 Dec. 2016.
"Victims of Sexual Violence: Statistics | RAINN." Victims of Sexual Violence: Statistics | RAINN.
N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Dec. 2016
"Women's Bureau (WB) - Quick Facts on Women in the Labor Force in 2010." Women's Bureau
(WB) - Quick Facts on Women in the Labor Force in 2010. U.S. Department of Labor, n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016.
"11 Facts About Teens and Self Esteem." DoSomething | Volunteer for Social Change. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2016

What inspired me to write this article was all the female role models in my life who inspire me every day. I hope that people understand that gender equality is severely important in today's society.