A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Muslim Terrorist | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Muslim Terrorist

By BreannaHerman BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
BreannaHerman BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF MUSLIM TERRORIST

It is a melancholy object to believe that all terrorist are muslims, and the religion of Islam believe in terrorism. Terrorism is a misunderstood concept throughout the world by many people. And although it would be easier to blame ourselves or the education system, they are the least to blame for our misunderstandment of terrorism. It is the media. We see mass media coverage and extreme unjustified hatred  on muslims. They have many misunderstood concepts about their religion. -exaggeration. This is exaggeration because it is jumping to conclusion and that maybe not everybody doesn’t understand their religion.

I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence is that muslims have been stereotyped as terrorist. Although many acts of terrorism have been carried out by muslims, or people from the Islam religion, not all terrorist are muslims. You may have heard the quote “Not all muslims are terrorist, but all terrorist are muslims”. This quote is misleading in many different way.  “According to the FBI, 94% of terrorist attacks carried out in the United States from 1980 to 2005 have been by non-Muslims” (Omar Alnatour Huffington Post).  If you are scared of muslims, you should be more scared of lighting. You are more likely to be struck by lightning in your lifetime than a Muslim is likely to commit a terrorist attack during that same timespan. Our government and our society has not come to the understanding  that we also need to look at other ethnic groups and not just muslims. Although we are doing background checks on Syrian refugees entering the United States, that does not help with any other immigrants that may have connections to terrorism.

But my intention is far from being confined to provide only the  betterment of performing background checks on all current residence of the United States, and all incoming immigrants and refugees from all ethnic groups. Some similar solutions would be to do background checks on syrian refugees, but what was stated before, not all terrorist are muslims. Our biggest threat in the United States, is our own American citizens.  So background checks would be performed through the country and any new citizens that are not born in America. And although we do have problems of illegal immigrants, what’s the problem if a few slip through? The storage issue isn’t that big of a deal, we would just need a large warehouse to store all the papers on all of American citizens, no big deal.  -Sarcasm. This is sarcasm because we wouldn't be able to store all of the paper work on every United states citizen or anyone that comes to America because it would be too much paperwork.

As to my own part, I have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be. Even the FBI has stated that background checks on Syrian Refugees is much harder than it seems. The United States has been proven that they can not conduct thorough background checks among any new immigrants. James Comey, FBI director,  claims that the United States does not have the ability to thoroughly screen syrian refugees for terrorist ties. “We can only query against that which we have collected and so if someone has never made a ripple in the pond in Syria in a way that would get their identity or their interest reflected in our database, we can query our database until the cows come home, but there will be nothing show up because we have no record of them” (Rep. Bennie Thompson). So to get to the point, the American government has no errors into trying to stop terrorist by only looking at syrian refugees. Not. -Sarcasm. This is sarcasm because we know that the government has errors. Nobody is perfect.

I humbly offer it to public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit, should stop any new immigrants from entering the United States, or at the least, perform background checks on every U.S. citizen and and any new immigrants entering the United States.

In this scenario, everybody will have to have a thorough background check and if there is any indication to terrorism, they will be thoroughly investigated.  Background checks will also be very necessary on United States citizens to also stop domestic terrorism. -exaggeration. This is exaggeration because we know that not every Citizen of the United States is trying to perform terrorist attacks. If we plan on stopping international terrorism, we need to stop domestic terrorism too. -exaggeration. This  is also exaggeration because we shouldn't assume that all Americans are violent.

Of course there will be some problems with illegal immigrants and people that don’t have any indication towards terrorism. So we will have to look out for that too. That is nearly impossible to  stop. But we will have to have trust in this country.

These drastic and sudden changes will be very hard to perform between budget and short amount of time that we would have to do background searches on everybody in this country.

I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal. Time and wasteful of resources would be the only type of conflict. 

Again, no one should dare to suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.

It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that very few people are receiving the correct education about terrorism and muslims.