Gay Rights | Teen Ink

Gay Rights

By cece_waitt BRONZE, Wathena, Kansas
cece_waitt BRONZE, Wathena, Kansas

"Don't change so people will like you. Be yourself and the right people will love the real you."

Though most everyone has accepted the fact that being homosexual is not a choice, there are still those who refuse to believe that science has shown that it isn’t a choice. These are the people who don’t believe homosexual individuals deserve equal rights such as raising children, saying that same-sex parents are a bad influence for children. However, in the very document in which the United States of America, declared independence, it is said that all men are created equal. Therefore, all men, homosexual or straight, deserve the same rights.

In the Declaration of Independence, it is said that all men are created equal and have three unalienable rights. These are the rights to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. These rights can be taken to mean that all humans have the right to equal rights, just treatment to groups being discriminated against, and the right to pursue what makes that person happy. Who is anyone to say what makes anyone else happy?

Ben Carson is quoted saying, “A lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight and when they come out, they’re gay. So, did something happen while they were in there?” (Ghose). However, science shows that being gay is not a choice of an individual, but instead is a couple of genes. These genes, found on the X chromosome and on chromosome 8 were found in three homosexual brothers and is being found in other men who were homosexual, but no heterosexual men. Additionally, a neuroscientist, by the name of Simon LeVay, conducted a study, published in 1991, where he performed MRIs on 19 homosexual corpses. LeVay found a part of the brain called INAH3 in the hypothalamus is “smaller in gay men [...] than it is in straight men,” (Kluger).

Another hotly debated topic involves children being raised in same-sex parent homes. Some believe that same-sex parents damage the children mentally, the opposition being that same-sex parents pose no more harm to children than heterosexual parents.  The most important thing in a relationship with children- same-sex or otherwise- is the relationship that the child has with the parents. Those people like Ben Carson who believe that homosexuality is a choice, often believe that children with same-sex parents are more likely to become gay themselves. However, there is no proof whatsoever that same-sex parent homes “create” homosexual children. According to medical studies and reports that go back more than 10 years in the past, however, indicate that a child with same-sex parents is 10% or less likely to become gay than straight couple’s children.

All men and women deserve the same rights. “All men are created equal” is a self-evident truth in the United States Declaration of Independence. There’s even scientific evidence that one can’t choose who they are attracted to. Therefore, there is no reasonable reason that people of the LGBT community should not receive all the rights and protections straight men and women have.

An argumentative essay I wrote as an assignment for English. I hope that it is enough to change some minds.