Love Wins | Teen Ink

Love Wins

By Love! BRONZE, Baytown, Texas
Love! BRONZE, Baytown, Texas

The term LGBT stand for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender. I have a very close connection with this term, though i am a straight girl I know many who are homosexual. At my old school me and my friend were walking in the lunch room and someone yelled out a really offensive word. I remember seeing my friends face so sad. I just lost it and ran over there and yelled in their face. I just don't understand why people hate the LGBT community. I for one learned at a very young age what this term meant and I was okay with it. I am very happy in this point in my life right now because my brother is gay and he is happy about the whole marriage  legal thing and everytime i see him happy I'm happy too. I still have a problem though why can't people just keep their opinions to their self. I get not all people are as understanding, but can you imagine what they feel.

I am going to bring religion into this now, my gay friends do not go to church because people say they are going to hell and God hates them. That is not true. God loves anyone and everyone. He wouldn't have put them on this Earth if he didn't think they were worthy. I remember in San Antonio their was a gay couple holding hands walking down from the Alamo and their was a protester that stopped them. He called them the worst words you can call someone. I just lost it and i cried my eyes out he ruined that day for me. Every single part of my body wanted to slam him to the ground, but my heart said otherwise. When I walked past him I said " God will forgive you" and he didn't hear me, but at least i said something.

I am happy that celebrities are standing up for the LGBT community and more people are too.  For instance, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, and Miley Cyrus have all stood up for this community. This spring, Miley founded the Happy Hippie Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering LGBT youth, and partnered with Instagram to launch the #InstaPride initiative to help share transgender stories. Demi lovato opened a music video pointing out a protester at the parade that has a burn in hell poster and said that “you don’t have to hate because my Jesus loves all.” All of these celebrities are good people and i hope one day people everywhere will be just as accepting and i hope to be here when that happens.

I wrote this piece because I feel strongly about the subject, and I hope people will understand what they say hurts.