Perfection at a Glance | Teen Ink

Perfection at a Glance

April 27, 2016
By rquigley11 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
rquigley11 BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

What is perfect to me? Is perfect in the perception of something or something’s looks or appearance? Pefect is modernly known as the best standard someone or something could be, but is that true? In a perfect day, what happens during that day makes it perfect to you, not how the day looked at its first sight. In a gourmet meal, the taste and what's inside the food makes the food taste perfect, not how one dish looks. Even if you have the most yellow banana peel, the inside could be rotten and oozing out with terrible brown banana. Is that perfect?

We as people should never have the nerve to call a girl’s body perfect based on her looks. Perfect should be based off a girl’s personality, and how she makes others feel they are “perfect” just the way they are. When we call things perfect, we are typically referring to food, days, outfits, shows, and artwork. Why should we call a living person perfect if we give that title to inanimate object? In the article, City Unveils Campaign to Improve Girl’s’ Self-Esteem we learn about the campaign of girls trying to fix themselves to get a perfect body. “The campaign was conceived by an aide to Mr. Bloomberg, Samantha Levine, 38, the mayor’s deputy press secretary, who is serving as project director. Ms. Levine said she had been moved by stories of little girls wearing body-shaping undergarments and getting plastic surgery to improve their appearance.” Many people think in order to reach perfect, you must strive to be impeccable.  My idea of perfect is being happy with who I am, not just my looks, but my values and decisions. While perfect is the idea of being spectacular and flawless, I think perfect is the idea of having flaws, and valuing them in yourself and to others.

Many believe there are standards to having a healthy body and maintaining your size and weight. Being healthy and having the average weight is great, but the size of our body should have no influence on the perfection of a girl. Being healthy and being perfect are two different titles a girl can have. Though a girl may be unhealthy, feeling perfect in her own skin should be how we measure perfection. In many cases, people say that the “perfect” women should be 5’10 and weigh 120 pounds. Model standards should not be the definition people feel is perfect.

According to Google, the definition of perfect is, “Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities or characteristics.” If perfect means having desirable and demanded attributes, I know I would by far rather have a perfect attitude and personality, than a perfect body.