Feminism Means All | Teen Ink

Feminism Means All

February 25, 2016
By intoxiicatedsoul SILVER, Paragould, Arkansas
intoxiicatedsoul SILVER, Paragould, Arkansas
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person." - Paper Towns, John Green


Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. Feminism began in 1848 when the first gathering devoted to women's rights was held in Seneca Falls, New York on July 19-20. The organizers of the event were Elizabeth Cady Stanton, a mother of four from upstate New York, and the Quaker abolitionist Lucretia Mott. About 100 people attended the event; two thirds were women. Stanton created a "Declaration of Sentiments, Grievances, and Resolutions," that resembled the preamble of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men and women are created equal." This statement still holds true for today. We should all be treated as equals.  Women are sexualized throughout our society. In school handbooks there's a list of dress code restrictions for women but when it comes to guys there is almost none. No yoga pants, tights, jeggings, shoulder showing, and certain shirts. All these rules but why? So the boys don't get distracted by a shoulder or seeing a little leg? Girls are sent home or told to wait in the office until they can change which takes time away from their education. Is a boy's education worth more than a girls? No, it is not and should not ever be.    

Women are not only sexualized in schools but in advertising. Often women are told to wear very provocative outfits which have nothing to do with the product or advertisement. For example, some perfume ads place women in swimsuits or see-through-outfits which have nothing to do with the product they are trying to sell. Advertising uses women as sexual objects. A woman's body should not be plastered everywhere just to sell a car, hamburger, or perfume.    

 

In the music industry, women are heavily sexualized. From the lyrics to the music videos, women are either shamed or referred to in sexual ways. Women are often s***shamed in the music industry. S***shaming is the act of criticizing a woman for her real or presumed sexual activity. Also women are referred to as sexual objects by using vulgar language to describe their bodies. Artist shame and sexualize women in their lyrics and music videos which often influences people into seeing women differently. Women are not sexual objects nor should they be shamed for their sexual activity when men are often praised for their bodies and sexual activity.    

 

Feminism is meant to stop the double standards women are held by in society. Women are more than their bodies and this is what schools, companies, music industries, and society itself has yet to realize. Women only ask to be equal. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Stop shaming and sexualizing women and young girls.