Opinion on Jehovah's Witness | Teen Ink

Opinion on Jehovah's Witness

By mikkkaaayylllaa BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania
mikkkaaayylllaa BRONZE, Johnstown, Pennsylvania

What are the beliefs of Jehovah's Witness? What is true and false?

Have you ever just been the outsider, looking in? I have been, especially with the Jehovah Witness religion.  Jehovah’s are just like all of us individuals but with unique and questionable thoughts.  They do not celebrate any type of holiday, even Christmas.  They believe that salvation comes through Jesus Christ only and would rather spread peace and love with the Bible.   Jehovah’s also say that they DO NOT judge anyone and treat themselves as though they are less than any other persons. 

This is quite questionable to me. Three of my family members that play a major role in my life are part of the Jehovah religion.  I see differently from them in many ways, and questioning what they say is good, but they do something completely different.

Back in the summer of 2015, I was in some trouble by running with the wrong crowd, going in the wrong direction.  I stayed at my gram’s house at the time so she had to be involved in the whole disaster.  Explaining what I’ve been doing for almost a year to her was terrible; it seemed she did not understand.  Then so began the lecture I did not bother to hear, the religious, God, Jehovah speech.  Personally, I am not inflicted with any type of religion so this just was a ‘kill me’ type of moment.  She began with the ‘upset with me’ type of speech and then eased her way into Jehovah.  Everything she told me seemed to be weird. She said how “the great Lord, Jehovah could never be upset with me or anyone.  He accepts everyone for who they are and their happiness.  Also, their sins.” 

“Treat yourself as like they’re better than you.” I always believed in this quote, not for any religious reason, but just because it’s true.  My grandmother uses this quote as well, but in a way that you’ll think, “Please, I heard you already” each time it seeps from her mouth.  When I go on angry rants about people who treat others miserably but still expect to be liked by all, I hear the lecture about God.  The lecture feels like it’s an eternity, from the beginning of time, the events, and how the world was created.  She knows I am not religious but she has a tendency to still throw her views at me, like a pie made from a clown about to launched into my face. 

Actions speak louder than words.  My family will say everyone is equal but in reality, they treat everyone differently.  This is where I dug deeper into the hypocrisy.  My gram and I could go out to the mall and see a person with tattoos and perhaps one on their face. She’ll try to persuade me to believe that is wrong and claim ugliness and stupidity on that individual.  She can spot a gay couple and just spew nasty comments about how God and Jehovah did not make people to date the same sex.  When she says these comments, I wonder if all Jehovah’s are like this. 

Maybe I am lost and confused about religion or maybe I completely understand and am just realizing how momentous people can actually be?  I understand that not ALL Jehovah’s or even religious people are highly judgemental and hypocrites.  Some may actually follow the proper rulings and guides of how to treat everyone: equally.  I always questioned myself, “why should I believe in someone who damns happiness?” I prefer to think that everyone is happy and should not change for any reason.  Why should I try to change someone to what they aren’t?  It’s none of my business and it is also not affecting me in anyway.  Also, the same for me: why should I change my religious preference for people that seem to have to obey a person we cannot see, hear, and or talk to without a response?  I think it all sounds quite ridiculous.  But those who are religious are happy, so I cannot diss them.  I will never have a problem until the pie of religion is thrown in my face.  Do as you please, as long as you’re happy.  Stand for what you believe in.  Look at reality before you say something imaginary.