The Plight of Illegal Immigrants | Teen Ink

The Plight of Illegal Immigrants

By Cristinavm BRONZE, Miami, Florida
Cristinavm BRONZE, Miami, Florida

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:

I lift my lamp beside the golden door.” ? Emma Lazarus. This quote can be found inscribed inside the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, an American symbol of freedom. Ellis Island and Lady Liberty, the Mother of Exiles, represents the United States greeting millions of immigrants to the land of opportunity, hope, and freedom; a place they are wanted and welcomed. This welcoming home is not what is portrayed to the refugees and suffering people from other countries trying to cross the border between Mexico and the United States to make a better life for themselves. To those who are told the tale of America, a melting pot, a land of opportunity and of the free they are puzzled when confronted faced with the walls, trenches, barriers, and fences keeping them out. These barricades force immigrants to migrate to the U.S. through illegal measures resulting in thousands of deaths in the Arizona desert. There are several important factors that must be considered when addressing the issues and resolving the problem of these death connected with illegal immigration through the Mexico-United States Border.

From October 1999 to March 2013 approximately 2,269 migrant deaths occurred in the Arizona desert ("The Arizona Death Map"). These deaths are a direct result of migrant inability to legally enter the United States due to harsh restrictions placed on them. These migrants live in countries of turmoil and harsh economies, where the only way to have a better life is to migrate to the U.S. and work menial jobs. These migrants are forced to take a dangerous trek across the Arizona desert which reaches temperatures of 108 degrees, due to the "funnel effect." This effect comes from the militarization of the United States-Mexico border. Hundreds of miles of high-tech infrastructures barricades and checkpoints force these migrants take a new route away from regularly trafficked and safe urban areas (Amanda Rose. "Death In the Desert"). The new route migrants are forced to take is through remote stretches of waterless and broiling desert. Many dangers lie ahead for migrant travelers who chose this path such as robberies, sexual assaults, deliberated abandonment, and death. These migrants know the stories of family members and friends that never return home or make it to the U.S. because of the harsh conditions of the desert but this does not stop them because conditions at home drive them from the countries in search of a better life for themselves and for their families. Conditions such as gang violence, starvation, and great poverty drive them from their counties in search of opportunity. The people coming through this border are not only Mexicans, but Central Americans from places such as Guatemala and Honduras due to people wanting to escape high crime and dwindling economies.

The United States must take responsibility for its part in causing turmoil and harmful situations in those countries. A lot of violence and instability in Central American countries is due to Americans. A recent study conducted by a nonprofit International Crisis group revealed that rivalries between drug traffickers and the lack of government control along the Guatemalan border has made it one of the most violent areas in the world ("Editorial Addressing The Border Crisis"). These drugs are making their way to the United States which has the highest demand for marijuana and cocaine. These street gangs from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala have their roots in U.S. cities ("Editorial Addressing The Border Crisis"). With drugs being smuggled north, guns are being smuggled south from the U.S. to these already struggling countries. This is a mess that the U.S. is somewhat responsible for because its legal citizens are the paying costumers to these illicit drugs coming from these countries. These migrants are running from the violence created by drug wars, a war the U.S. is involved in. These countries and their suffering cannot be abandoned by the super power, America. The United States bears some of the responsibility for the violence that drives migrants to leave from their homes and take the treacherous paths towards safety in America, a place which takes part in corrupting their countries.

Another major factor is that cost and money used in this issue place a burden on all parties. When crossing borders legally migrants must pay visa fees ranging from 160 dollars to 2,250 dollars ("Fees for Visa Services"). The migrants live in developing countries in which many people live on a dollar a day basis. It is nearly impossible for these people to pay these fees. These migrants are already impoverished and starved. Very rarely can any afford to pay such high prices; causing many illegal border crossing to be their only option. Another high price is what the U.S. is paying to keep these migrants out; 5.2 billion dollars was given to border patrol to take extra measure to keep illegal immigrants out as well as the 3 million dollar per mile fence that was instilled (Archinold). Many can argue that in recent years, due to this fence numbers of illegal immigrants has lowered, which is true if the bodies of those illegal migrants in the Arizona Desert are eliminated. Migrants are still crossing they are just more likely to face death then they did before. These migrants are dying on American soil which hold us responsible. We must fund the medical examiners, police, cremations, and investigators. Along with the cost of keeping migrants out and investigating their deaths there is also more money being spent than made by the United States. If someone was to think only of the monetary issue they would have to acknowledge that it would not be a good business venture because there isn't much profit. There is much money being spent and made and none is helping come closer to a solution.

Some may argue that a solution is having border officials exercise the statutory power of "expedited removal" which allows them to detain and send back immigrants without a court case. This keeps new arrivals out of the immigration court system and ensures their quick return ("Border Crisis in Mexico"). But this issue is more than keeping these people out of jails, court systems and saving money. The U.S. prides itself on the ideals such as the American Dream these are people just trying to fulfill their own dreams willing to risk their lives to come to a country to perform jobs that many Americans do not want to do. These people should stopped being looked at as numbers on a chart. They are innocent people dying in the desert just for the opportunities us Americans have and take for granted. Those that argue that the flow of illegal immigration has stopped are ignoring the lives of those that die in the Arizona desert and Rio Grande Valley. We spend billions of dollars to keep out those willing to risk their lives for a chance in America; we must decide if these deaths are another price we are willing to pay.

As one political cartoonist, Jeff Parker, portrays in one of his cartoons we are all illegal immigrants. The illustrations shows pilgrims arriving in the New World, the drawing points out that the first "American" where illegal immigrants. It is points out that other than Native Americans, we are all immigrants due to our ancestors. The United States is a country founded and made up of immigrants, so we should continue to treat it the same as we had the chance for a better life and opportunity.

There is not one major solution for this issue but the most important factor is that this should not be treated as a business, money, or governmental issue; it is a humanitarian crisis. We call American soldiers heroes because they go to foreign countries to make life better for their families on the home front, Mexicans and Central Americans do the same, unarmed, yet the US labels them as criminals. We keep them in detention for profit. We are putting a price on humanity , which in turn dehumanized them. The illegal Immigration issue is more than just policy, it is an up issue of justice, racism, and humanity. The U.S. should divert its funds from building a wall that blockades hopes and dreams and rather invest money and attention to the humanity on the other side of the wall.