Prideless | Teen Ink

Prideless

Many people are proud to say that they live in America, The home of the FREE AND THE BRAVE. But I have anothe viewpoint of that. People are proud to live in America, the home of the judgemental, the home of the Imprisoners, the home of the utterly Terrified.

Americans, tend to be afraid of those whor are diffrent and/or those who go againts the social norms of today. The common American makes many judgenents based on color, gender, religion and even sexual orientation. Everyone woh dosen't pass inspection is shunned and bashed to the point where they get too depressed, and their only chance to escape is suicide.

Women are judged if they are 'too fat', men are supposed to be 'muscular'. But that's not always the case. Many teens develope eating disorders to 'look good', and others feel so deeply hated that they self harm or commit suicide.

The biggest problem is that I am forced to be PRIDELESS. I'll say it. I'm gay, and I'm not proud. I wish I could change it. I really do. People bully me, stereotypes haunt me, and the Red Cross constantly refuses to let me donate blood. What, Will my gay blood infect people with some gayness disease? I feel sorry for whomever I turn...

I cannot marry a man in many states, I cannot go to church! I am Prideless.

What if you were born gay, or into the wrong body? You cannot choose this, I wouldn't. What if? Would you like to be tormented, constantly afraid that you will be beat up in the locker room or bathrooms again? Would you like the nameas and constant shunning?

Think. That's all I ask. Maybe one of your best friends is LGBTQ, but they are prideless because of you. It's really hard to have pride, especially when the common American dangles it above my head, taunting me.

Love is love, no matter who gives and recieves it. Please, I beg you, give that love. Dish out the pride. Save a life. Support the LGBTQ community. Be prideful.