You Are Beautiful | Teen Ink

You Are Beautiful

By CuddlyPandaBear BRONZE, Palmer, Alaska
CuddlyPandaBear BRONZE, Palmer, Alaska

He said, "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.
Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby.
But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." -The Velveteen Rabbit

Why is it that women themselves are oblivious to how beautiful they really are, when the world around them sees it so clearly? We constantly compare ourselves to the women we see in magazines or on the television. Looking in the mirror silently observing, judging yourself, wishing you were skinnier like them, that your face were nice and thinned out and clear, not a single freckle in sight. Wishing that we too could have big doe eyes and different hair, when in reality you are more beautiful and unique than you could ever imagine. One of a kind. Nobody else has a smile like yours, or that mind, the way you think, speak, even laugh.

If everyone looked the same, what a boring world this would be! If we were all tall twigs with model legs, perfect hair, skin clear of all those cute little freckles, who knew just how to act, speak, and dress, could you imagine how living would be? It would be a world of robots, all thinking and acting the same. Individuality is what intrigues those around you. You are perfect in all your imperfections.

When you look in the mirror, stop counting all the things that are wrong with yourself, and start seeing them as all the things that are right. You should feel beautiful, inside and out, because whether you see it or not, you are beautifully and wonderfully made.

My best friend has been having a really hard time lately with the way she looks, and as I began to think about it I realized there are a lot of girls that feel this way, and maybe they need a bit of encouragement.