Disillusion | Teen Ink

Disillusion

April 22, 2015
By Anonymous

I thought we were better than this. I didn’t know things were as bad as it is. When I first came here, I had expected that everyone would respect one another as one united people. I was always told that we were equal, that we were to love each other as we love ourselves. But as it turns out, it’s not like that. There are those of us have made equivalence their enemy. Some have contempt for those who are different, believing that there is something wrong with them. Others simply do not care. It was not until now that I fully grasped the grave situation we were in. We have utterly failed. We have not succeeded in upholding the morals that we supposedly follow.

 

I don’t know how this came to be, everything seemed fine. I had not notices any signs that something was wrong. There was the usual gathering into groups of likeminded people, but everyone appeared to have some level of respect for each other. But of course, what better a camouflage for bigotry than one of equality. One day, it all came crashing down. I witnessed a cruel prejudice that had been directed towards my friend’s kind. This verbal onslaught was not from an outside presence, it was from my own brethren. This injustice disillusioned me from my previous perception of my community. I don’t know what to do about this. I cannot simply change the mindsets of certain individuals, and my confrontation of their errors would likely be dismissed as “preachy”. A sense of hopelessness has overtaken me. I wish that there was some way to make this problem vanish, but life isn’t full of happy endings. I learned that before, but now it is more apparent than ever. No matter how many times we are taught about the myriad of cultures that surround us, some of us refuse to appreciate or even recognize them. Unless every single one of us sees each other as equals, prejudice will prevail.


The author's comments:

My friend, who was of Native American heritage, wrote a survey and handed it out to the students of my school. The survey in question asked the participants what they thought of Native Americans and their contributions to society. I was utterly shocked when the majority of results contained racist answers, showing either hatred or disinterest. I was inspired to write a short opinion piece based on this turn of events.