Fight Against the Remains of Abuse | Teen Ink

Fight Against the Remains of Abuse

By Camilo Medina BRONZE, Bogota, Other
Camilo Medina BRONZE, Bogota, Other

Women empowerment has improved throughout history and their influence on society has kept growing. Feminist groups around the world fought for their rights, with both genders supporting it, and the demands were achieved, for the most part. As we reached into the 21st century, Islam has been recognized for the position implemented on women, treating them as inferiors. Religious Muslim men who abused, punished, and humiliated the opposite sex caused a lot of controversy if whether the acts in the Quran should be allowed in modern society. The answer is yes, it is correct to question the religion because the role of women in Islam should change into practices that fit in the 21st century. Islam’s guidances are direct human rights violations, disregarding for equality, and causing a lot of radical movements compared to other religions.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) in 1948 can be considered the first act towards equality and the first attempt towards world peace. It was signed by 48 countries, including Islamic countries, Pakistan and Afghanistan. But even though they signed the document, it has not been applied because it is a very delicate topic considering its controversy between it and the Quran, Islam’s holy book. The Declaration of the Human Rights overlaps with the Quran as they both contradict each other, the debate centers around which is most important. In Sura 4:34 of the Quran it says that if your wife doesn’t follow your orders “hit them” if they disobey. Men should not have the right to own or beat their wives. In Islam women are materialized and it should not be like that. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights’ Article #5 states that nobody can “be subjected to torture… or punishment”. After seeing both quotes, it is pretty obvious that the Quran goes against the Human Rights. Both quotes apply to women oppression, but which one should be followed? The UDHR talks about abuse being wrong, and Article #30 states that whatever the rest of the Declaration says, nothing may be “interpreted as implying for any… person any right to engage in any activity… aimed at the destruction of any of the rights” This article was added to explicitly say that the rest can not be used to argue against any violation of these Human Rights. Basically, if you beat your woman because the Quran directly states that you may, you can not say that Article #18, freedom of religion, protects you. You will still be charged against beating your wife, in the eyes of the law when in a country that agrees with the Declaration. The Quran not only mentions violence against your women, but also murder. When reading the ancient text, in many places you will find verses that promote fighting against the people that do not believe in Islam. The Quran, in 8:12, mentions that those who follow Islam should also “strike upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip.” As well as Allah saying that he will “cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved”. Islam’s holy book has verses stating to abuse women and kill infidels, would you consider that violations of the human rights? What do you think, should Islam be the exception to the Human Rights and permit women oppression for their religion, or should the Declaration apply to Muslims just like it applies to everyone else? Which text is more important for people to follow?

People believe in many religions worldwide, Christianity, Atheism, or Judaism. Islam is one of the three most practiced religions worldwide, with about a fourth of the entire population. But despite your religion there is an idea that everyone should follow, one that creates peace and allows for human beings to live with each other. Equality. But believing in it is not enough, anyone can believe in anything; Santa, the tooth fairy, or the easter bunny. In order to demonstrate to others that you believe, you have to act first. Equality is a paradox, we say one thing and do another. For decades the world has said that everyone is equal, was this seen during the apartheid, or for the many years in which segregation still existed even after the Human Rights were established and signed. There are not as many examples of the discriminated role of women as there is to racism. But if most countries were able to overcome these issues why can’t we do the same with Islam? We can abolish the mentality that men are better than women in every way. It is the new millenium and women everywhere are able to become lawyers, doctors, soccer players, and even presidents. There are still some Islamic countries in which women are overlooked and considered as weak; but others are starting a change. Turkey, Indonesia, and Bangladesh are three Islamic countries which have had women as political leaders; so what is holding the remaining societies back? Sura 2:228 of the Quran suggests that “wives have the same rights as the husbands… Of course, men are a degree above them in status.” Where in this quote is equality shown? You can not say they are equal and then disregard it by saying that they are inferior, especially not in the same verse. In the 19th century, the huge “We Can Do It!” campaign encouraged women’s rights. To either be treated as equal, or be allowed to do the same things as men, the campaign was supported by both genders. Now in many countries, they have the same opportunities as men. Whether you are Islamic or not, we should not refer to women as inferior and powerless. A lot of people stopped overlooking at women’s capacity, you can too. Women deserve to be treated as equals.

When following any type of religion based on a religious text, there will be barbaric acts that you are meant to follow, but some radical Muslims take it too literally. The Quran encourages the abuse towards women, but know that I am not singling out Islam. You may think that it is not fair to tell Muslims that their religion is wrong, and I agree. Criticizing a whole religion because of a small portion of the followers is unjust. People who believe in the Sharia Law can do it word by word, and some do, but Catholic countries do not follow the Bible’s texts exactly as said. Mostly because the Bible also states that people should do horrendous acts to be real believers. In Deuteronomy, the Bible suggests that a good Christian “should kill” anyone who decides to follow another religion. We should not listen to every word said in any ancient religious text because it was written thousands of years ago in barbaric times where people were slaughtered for anything. Fortunately, most people have been able to come through and still follow their religion without having to commit such horrible acts. Being raised a Catholic, I understand the Bible and try to follow it, but it does not mean that I agree with everything that is mentioned in the text. I am still Catholic and I go to church on Sundays, but discriminating others for what they believe in is not the mentality I agree with. These texts have quotes that refer to murder and following your faith, regardless of what others believe or say. Ancient books promote violence in the name of religion. Radical Muslims read the Quran and believe that they should do as it says. During the Crusades radical Catholics killed others for the same reasons. But nowadays Catholics do not stone women to death, or brutally murder someone who has different beliefs. Muslims should do the same with their beliefs about women because there is no space for these acts in the 21st century. Consideration of others despite their differences is the only hope for mankind to survive. Creating a bloodbath could be a solution. Although perhaps it is better to just realize that what is said is completely barbaric and should not be taken literally or applied. The Bible, the Quran, and the Torah; they all mention murder and violence in the name of religion.

With about 2 billion people believing in the Quran’s teachings, women worldwide are mistreated but we should put it to an end. There are a lot of Islam’s guidances that do not belong in modern societies. These teachings do not follow the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, despite the fact that two Islamic countries have signed it; Afghanistan and Pakistan. Although not everyone, some Muslims try to follow the Sharia Law as much as they can, posing men as superior beings over women. But before I am criticized for saying that their religion deserves a change, I am simply comparing them to my religion and my holy book, the Bible. Of course that there are some passages written in barbaric times in both the Quran and the Bible. The only difference is that most people overlook some Bible verses and comprehend that they are exaggerations from ancient times, before the Human Rights were created. We have developed over time, physically and mentally. By now we should already know the difference between the right and the wrong; so in which do you believe women’s rights deserve to be?

I was inspired to write this piece after recently studying about the role of women in Islam society and learning the truth about abuse towards women. I hope people get from this that we are able to change the world and we should change it to stop violent behavior and realize that women are equals.

beAWESOMEstayAWESOME BRONZE, New York City, New York

"Work hard in silence and let your accomplishments make the noise."

Please don't think I am trying to attack your views or convert you I am just trying to clear up misconceptions about Islam. Thank you for your time :).

Dear writer, In Islam you are not allowed to infer meanings form the Quran out of the blue. If you want to know the meaning of the Quran you need to ask a scholar because they have studied the Quran all their lives and are currently still studying the Quran. Hamza YUSIF is a scholar that I recommend and watch his videos. As your reading this you are probably wondering if I am a Muslim myself and the answer is yes, yes I am. Anyways, every line in the Quran is called an ayah. If you put all those ayah’s together you get a surah. You are taking small parts of an ayah and are inferring what they mean. IT is just like taking a small part of a sentence and inferring what is means. For example If I said “l hate the world, but I love the people”, and someone decided to take out the part “I hate the world…” it would make me seem like a crazy, lunatic! Saying do women have right in Islam is not a question and I won’t accept it as such. Islam is the religion which gives women the most rights. The problem is that people are very ignorant and don’t bother to study the Quran so they just take random parts of the Quran and put in their wives faces. The reason why women cover up is that so they are respected for their intelligence rather than how they look or what they wear. Women and Men in Islam are equal. Men are physically stronger so they are encouraged not to hit their wives or sisters. Since I am not a scholar I may not and will not quote things from the Quran, so please watch the videos below. -Sheikh Hamza Yusuf: Women in Islam - Men and Women (In Islam) - Hamza Yusuf - Women's rights in Islam by Hamza Yusuf