Gender Does Not Define You | Teen Ink

Gender Does Not Define You

By cakita BRONZE, Bogotá, Other
cakita BRONZE, Bogotá, Other

Dear women and men all around the world,

I’m writing this open letter because I feel like fake gender roles and gender inequality is an issue that affects us all but not many of us are even aware that it exists.

Around the world, women and girls are often viewed as less than men; there is a notorious inequality between the genders. This is a serious problem, one that not many understand, and one that we must solve. Even though we may not notice it, its everywhere. We’ve learned to live with it, and we need to learn how to change it.

If we look closely, we can see gender inequality is  everywhere; in literature, in religion, in politics, sports, etc. You may argue that if a woman wanted to be in the same position as a man, she could be, but we know it isn’t true. You may argue that not everyone is seen as less. Open your eyes. Globally, women do 66% of world’s work, but still earn only 10% of the world’s income. We were raised in a society which doesn’t support women’s intelligence and abilities, and puts men in superior positions even though one’s gender doesn’t have anything to do with one’s ability to get things done.

Inequality between the genders is not just something made up by women. Its not something women say because they resent something a man said to them. It is real. In your country, in mine, and in everyone’s. As seen in Khaled Hosseini’s book, A Thousand Splendid Suns, women get put through “continual assaults”, and they are unfairly put through events they should never face or experience. Women are oppressed and basically can’t do anything to get out of their situation “what harmful thing had she willfully done to this man to warrant his malice… had she not looked after him when he was ill[?]” Gender roles even cause women to doubt themselves, “had she been a deceitful wife[?]… a dishonorable woman[?]”.

Sadly, we were born in a society in which one’s gender defines power and what society believes one’s abilities are. In the past and even now women have been objectified, forced into motherhood, and judged unfairly by society. Growing up in such a society has even personally caused me to sometimes feel like my gender has a specific role set by society. I have been taught to be afraid when I walk home alone; that I shouldn’t go out walking by myself without someone to protect me; and that if I don’t dress provocatively or wear makeup, I won’t look pretty. I have learned that people focus on the physical. I have felt complimented when I heard “that’s very good for a girl.”  What we need to learn is that genders don’t have specific roles, society has set up fake expectations. A woman can want to be a professional soccer player just as much as a man can want to be a professional cook.

When women speak of gender equality, some people relate it to “man-hate”. But that’s not the case. Society’s downsview on girls is not our fault, but we need everyone’s help to change it. Clearly, inequality is a serious concern that has to be fixed; but we need to work together. If it remains being a couple people here and there voicing their opinion, trying to stand up for their rights, and continually being shot down, not much will change. What if, people stopped dismissing the idea of equality, and actually wanted to work together to build a new and safer society? If more and more people gather together and took a stand, we could be heard. Together we can make a change so that future generations grow up in a different society, get to experience a better life. It is up to all of us to change the basics society has set up, and take a stand for the better. It is never too late to make a change; it won’t be simple, but it can be done. This is your chance to start and to have a voice in society. Boys, girls, and teengers, we’re all affected in one way or another by the gender inequality; together we can stand up and make a change. Don’t be afraid to do something you like just because of fake gender roles; remember, your gender does not define you.

My purpose to writing this piece is to inspire young teens like me to get inspired and stand up to the criticising society we were all raised in.