Justice for the Muslim Faith | Teen Ink

Justice for the Muslim Faith

Muslim hate crimes in the United States are a violent, widespread issue that affects everyone who believes in the muslim faith, and people who look like the type of people to be Islamic.  Isis, Al Qaeda, and the Taliban have struck fear into people all over the world.  Muslims here in America, who have no affiliation with these terrorist groups are being ridiculed, harassed and murdered because of the actions of a few.  Riots, hate crimes, and Islamophobia have risen to a high point in these last few years. It is unjust to judge a person based on their faith and the wrongdoings associated with it.

In Garland, Texas, a group of Islamophobic americans came together to protest at a Sound Vision gathering.  Sound Vision is a Chicago based Islamic organization who aim to educate people about Islam for the purpose to stop Islamophobia.  The rioters have made threats against the harmless group, requiring more law enforcement and security to maintain a safe environment.  The people of Sound Vision are trying to help non muslim people realise that not all muslims are apart of terrorist groups, and that most of them are peaceful people.  Its not just the United States either, Germany, England, France, and many other countries are rioting against muslims.  Celebrations in the religion are being disturbed, such as the Texas muslim capitol day.  At the riots, many protesters, voiced their opinion on terrorist groups in the middle east such as Isis, Al Qaeda, and the Taliban, when there was obviously no correlation between the peaceful muslims in America and these terrifying groups.  People are lashing out on innocent americans because of the acts of a few.

Recently, people of the Islamic faith have been victims of many hate crimes.  In 2001, after the attacks on the world trade center, many Americans took out their anger and need for revenge on Muslim people, or people who looked as though they are muslim.  Hate crimes are once again rising due to the violent acts of terrorists.  Since the terrorists terrorize in the name of their God, Allah, people believe that everyone who worships Allah are murderous, when in fact, muslim people are one of the most peaceful religions.  Muslim’s follow the Sharia law, which, like most moral codes, states, “... and do not kill a soul the God has made, sacrosanct, save lawfully.” (Quran 6:151) Muslims believe that murder is unlawful, except when justified by the law, so terrorist groups who kill in the name of Allah, are really breaking the most important law in the Quran.  Hate crimes and murders against muslims because of terrorists are as justified as killing off the lion species because some of them are violent. In recent news, a dispute over a parking spot in Chapel Hill resulted in the unnecessary murders of three Islamic college students.  This hate crime caused an uproar on social media about anti-muslim groups and Islamophobia, which is now spreading worldwide.

A phobia is defined as, “A persistent, irrational fear of a specific object, activity, or situation that leads to a compelling desire to avoid it.” (Dictionary.com)  Islamophobia is as stated in the definition, irrational and unrealistic.  To be fearful of all Islamic people because 10% of them are terrorists is unintellegent and rash.  Islamophobia in the world rose after the attacks on the World Trade Center, but died down soon after. Lately though, with the many brutal attacks by Islamic terrorists groups has cause the percentage of Islamophobic people to rise.  Just like any other type of prejudice, people begin to judge and base people off of the bad reputation of others in the cultural group.

Protests, riots, hate crimes and Islamophobia are all factors of the segregation in which people of the Muslim faith have to endure.  Terror groups that attack in the name of Allah, such as Isis, have contributed to the widespread fear of Islamics. Just like any other racial or cultural problem, people can stop hating on Muslims by focusing on the good that they do, like the many inventions the have created, such as, algebra and cameras.  It is unjust to dislike people based on their faith and the crimes some have committed in the name of it.