Transgender Commits Suicide | Teen Ink

Transgender Commits Suicide

January 12, 2015
By sydalex0597 BRONZE, San Marcos, California
sydalex0597 BRONZE, San Marcos, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All I see is all of me"


Teen Leelah Alcorn, also known as Joshua Alcorn, put up with years of abuse and non-acceptance from his very Christian family. They did not accept the fact the she was indeed a girl trapped in a boys body. They sent her to Christian therapy centers to try and “fix” her, but little did they know that it was causing permanent damage within her young heart. On December 28th, 2014, she jumped in front of a semitrailer to end her misunderstood life. She even left a suicide note on her tumblr blog. It shouldn’t matter who you are or what you believe in, everyone matters. It is sickening that families cannot accept their children for they way they are born. The sad excuse that there is “something wrong with my child” is over said way too many times. Suicide eliminates all the possibilities a human could have. Life is so ridiculously precious and everyone takes it for granted day to day. It is sad to give birth to something beautiful and automatically consider it to be ugly just because you don’t accept their sexuality. It is not a choice to be lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender. You are born the way you are and you can’t help who you are. Judgement will only dig humanity deeper and deeper into a dark abyss of hatred. Leelah could have changed the world, but we will never know because she took her own life away. Imagine being her parents and realize how much of a fool you were for making them feel like monsters and worthless. Everyone deserves a chance in this life. Religion preaches about love and peace, yet it eliminates the people who are “different”? Sounds like the most hypocritical thing anyone has ever heard. So to Leelah Alcorn, may your soul rest in peace and you find the light at the end of the tunnel. She is gone, but will never be forgotten. And to Leelah’s parents, I am sorry for your loss, but that is what happens when you take the light out of a dancing star.