Weight: Will It Hit You at the Bottom of the Stairs? | Teen Ink

Weight: Will It Hit You at the Bottom of the Stairs?

November 20, 2014
By Anonymous

I’ve always been a skinny girl, my sisters have always been skinny, my mom and dad are skinny. Now as I am a teen, i noticed that the fact of being skinny or big, matters. You will never be good enough for society. Forget that, you’ll never even be enough for your own family.

I remember my mom letting out comments like “You need to get bigger, you’re too skinny”, “There’s something wrong with you, you weighed more last time” or “Oh my, you are becoming really skinny, are you sure you don’t have a disorder?”. These comments coming from my mom? How was I supposed to react to them? Then they started to come from outside people. The difference? These comments did hurt, I hoped people wouldn’t judge because I could say things about them too. But no, that wouldn’t happen.


I perfectly remember it was summer and I was watching one of Colombia’s games at a friends house and had black leggings on. He turned around to look at me and said “Hell you’re anorexic”, I felt bad. I know I’m perfectly fine, I probably eat more than most girls my age but my body just isn’t made that way. When this happened I reflected on all the times i had looked bad at someone just because of their weight.

In the eyes of society you’ll never be perfect. Look at Kim Kardashian, many people will say she has a perfect body, that she is the ideal body a woman should have. But then the other group of people say she has fat legs or arms. You will never be what society wants and it’s something we have to get over with now.

There was a time when people wanted a completely skinny body with tiny measurements, now it’s what they most criticise. Sara Sampaio recently got attacked by the media and of course normal people accusing her of being too skinny when this is just what they were asking for at the beginning of 2014. The “real women” of now are supposed to be voluptuous and curvy. What happened to let people be who they want, shape their body the way they feel comfortable with. Clearly this issue has been going on for years. When my grandmother was in her teens women were too, expected to be big, that was sexy. Teens, girls, have been harassed for a very long time with their weight. Why can’t society just accept the fact that we all have different body structures, we will never be as they want so now in the twentieth century, it should be time to let it go and make people change other things that do indeed make society better than it is now.