What is a Human? | Teen Ink

What is a Human?

September 26, 2014
By LeonardoLong7 SILVER, Roseville, California
LeonardoLong7 SILVER, Roseville, California
5 articles 0 photos 2 comments

What is a human? The question at the core of philosophers’ minds, challenging them, frustrating them, starting no end of debates, arguments, and controversies.

So what is a human?
From a present standpoint, a human is not an idol. a human is not a symbol to be wished for, not one to be jealous of, and certainly not one to strive for. For a human is a savage creature, fueled by greed, and ugly ambition, and a self-centered mind that completely disregards any other being on Earth.


OPtimists say the planet is improving. Many can say and hope that humanity is striving for a better future, that human traits such as innovation, empathy, and acceptance are coming to the fore. But that is wishful thinking. If, on any night, you find yourself with little to nothing to do, watch the news. Read a column. Or find some other means of establishing current events, but connect with present conditions. Then the idealistic world crumbles.


The only human trait that is present, the only one I see when I witness politicians deciding the future of many with “progress” in mind, is the human capacity for self-destruction. Many are aware of ISIS, and their destructive reign of terror. Many know of the crumbling state between countries, and the threat of war again looms over our heads. And this is only large, cover-story worthy events. In a “civilized” country like the United States, crime still runs high, with murders, rapes, robbery, and other such acts an unfortunate acceptance in the world. If this is true, why bother with such measures as global warming reduction, medical research, and safety innovations. Humanity seems hellbent on its own destruction as it is.


Do not take this the wrong way. What was written is an extreme case.  Despairing calamities such as the Ebola outbreak should be stopped before further damage is caused. Yet the point still holds true. If all humans try to do is destroy themselves, then why take pride in being one? If the lawful and moral actions of the citizen are overshadowed by initiation of war, by the leaders who claim that sending thousands of souls to death is improvement, then who will wish to be a part of that race?


Warfare, as an entirety, never solved a problem. There is no honor or glory in combat, no matter what the ancient warriors, knights, or modern leaders, with medals and accolades, say. Sending out our future people, the future scientists, philosophers, doctors, and politicians, to die for a worthless cause is not progress. And in modern war, this a larger problem. With a push of a button, millions can be wiped out for the reason that one leader is unhappy with his condition, and wants more. How could this situation appeal to any creature, the action of destroying so many, with no gain whatsoever?


Perhaps we should take a more personal view. I know of a young man, who, for the sake of animosity, we shall refer to as John. John is, what he believes to be, the ideal American. He champions his Republican view, takes pride in his nationality, the pale color of his skin, and his language, and avidly follows American football and baseball. He participates in wrestling, and while he doesn’t excel in class, he puts forth effort to rise above standards. To further flesh out John, let’s say he has a father who fully supports his son’’s chosen lifestyle, helping him in sport and physical activity. John’s mother provides wonderful emotional stability, and provides a comfortable life for her family. A picturesque, is stereotypical, lifestyle, to be sure.


Now let’s cast our gaze to another individual, who we shall call Simon. Simon is not as well-off as our good friend John. Simon is Democratic, of foreign descent, and follows any sport with a reluctant air. He does spectacularly well in his schoolwork, but this brings him little comfort. His father has passed, leaving Simon without a father to make him feel protected  and stable. His mother is unpredictable, seeming to burst into fits of rage at any shortcomings, which to poor Simon’s untrained mind, seem entirely random. Simon too, is an American, but not nearly as wonderful as John’s.


Both John and Simon are humans, and while they do, for the most part, exist in reality, their future is quite indeterminable. What the unfortunate possibility is, is that some country will disagree with their current state of affairs, and press an aptly colored red button. The missiles of war will be launched, and poor Simon and John are extinguished from life, merely because a leader wanted change, and war is obviously the best and most practical solution for that. Two voices, along with others, silenced because they are at the mercy of creatures with more power.


While once again, I have presented quite the extreme case, the depressing part is that this same event will occur, though in quite the different exchange. It can be a general consensus, I suppose, that Simon is not in an ideal situation (I am aware that that is from a pampered American standpoint, but I beg the reader to bear with me and share a frame of reference). Yet Simon cannot relate his troubles. How could his friends relate to the loss of his father? How can a figure such as John, care enough to help Simon, merely because he differs in his political views, in his skin color, and in his lifestyle?


What I fear humans lack, and require most of all, is acceptance. All too often does the human race label each other, placing others in assorted categories, designed to dictate whether or not that being is accepted or not. From the human living on the lowest level of civilization, to the “great” leaders of the government, the inability to see others as human bars them from any progress.  Do not love thy neighbor, for that is not enough. You must understand thy neighbor, for only then can one actually see the moral way. Self-destruction can be averted when humans learn to accept each other, and not see themselves as different practices, different cultures, different economies, and religions, and races. If humans can learn to see themselves, and every other, as just human, then maybe pride can be taken in the human race. And maybe, when I look in the mirror, I will not be afraid to say I am human.


The author's comments:

This grew out of some motion towards current events. I'm not sure when or what inspired this, but if it can change at least one mind, then it was worth composing.