Racism | Teen Ink

Racism

March 26, 2014
By Anonymous

Have you ever been discriminated against? Do you wake up every morning having to worry about this? Many people do. Many people think that racism is a problem of the past and there are new problems that need to be solved, but we still need to work to stop racism for everybody.

Racism still needs to be addressed in our society. According to DoSomething after being arrested, blacks are 33% more likely to be detained than whites. Also, in 2010, the U.S. Sentencing Commission reported that blacks receive a 10% longer sentences than whites for the same crime. This is a big injustice to blacks. This proves that racial discrimination is still a problem today. We can’t put all of our focus on other problems in our society when this problem is still present.

Racism is the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race. People that believe this usually discriminate against people of another race because they think that they are superior. This is not true at all, there is no one race that is superior to another. We need to remind ourselves that we are not superior to any other race so we don’t make this mistake.

Racism is still a problem today so we need to work to stop this. We need to educate the community about this. Think about what you would feel like if you were being discriminated against, would you continue to do it? So if you see somebody being racist stop them! Make sure they know that it is hurting others and they are adding to the already existing problem.

We discriminate against races because we think we are superior to them. We need to be reminded that this is not true. If we educate our communities about this we can make a big impact on many peoples lives and stop racism.