The Unfair Advantage | Teen Ink

The Unfair Advantage

By HockeyKoala BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
HockeyKoala BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You miss 100% of shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

The following editorial deals with a controversial subject, and possibly, due to your beliefs, religious or not, you may disagree with my feeling and beliefs on this topic. But please continue reading as you may learn from this writing or have a change in opinion.

“As a homosexual, I have companions. The most faithful of all is depression” –Ray Brown, Author.

1 in every 25 people are gay or lesbian. 4% of your peers are gay or lesbian. 9 out of 10 gay or lesbian teens are bullied because of their sexual orientation. Gay and lesbian teens are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than other teens. Homosexual students are 5 times more likely to miss school because they feel unsafe with their sexual orientation. 28% dropout of school entirely.

Gays and lesbians count as people, but why aren’t they treated as so? Why are gays and lesbians so afraid to come out, and tell their friends and family? Why must they suffer more than you and I?

Homosexuals live most of their life not feeling safe coming out. Roughly 50% of gays and lesbians say that the community they live in is not or does not feel accepting of people who share their sexual orientation. It makes it harder to come out to your parents friends and classmates when your unsure if you’d even be accepted by anyone.

Imagine your entire life feeling locked up and insecure about yourself. Imagine being bullied because your peers don’t accept you. Imagine not feeling safe anywhere you go. This is millions of people’s reality every day.

Society is filled with hundreds of negative messages about being gay and lesbian. The top sources for these messages are their school, classmates and the internet. Gays and lesbians say that they are the most honest about themselves online. The one place where homosexuals feel the most open about themselves is also riddled with mixed messages.

One of the most popular quotes on the internet and in schools is, from the movie The Community, is “Ha, gayyyy.” Never once is it used in a positive way. It places unfair stereotypes on the gay community that are impossible to get out of. The word is one of the most overused words in school. Everyone says they don’t mean it in the harmful way they do, but why would you even say it if you don’t mean it. You can’t erase what has been done, and apologies don’t always cut it. Even if you think being gay is a bad thing, don’t say anything because you never know who you’re hurting.

For the past 40 years, the question whether being lesbian or gay is a choice has been the main topic of issue when the subject of homosexualality comes about. With modern science however, the question has been answered once and for all. Being attracted to the same sex, or, being gay, is not a choice! Nor is it a mental disorder. While questions still linger, scientists all over the world have decided, though a few scientists disagree, that at least part of being gay is genetic. The fact that it is most likely genetic is a huge breakthrough, for it proves that being gay, lesbian, or bisexual is not a choice. It is something you are born with and is completely irreversible.

You can’t change being gay. It’s the same with your skin color, eye color, height, and hair color. To be bullied for being gay would be the same as being bullied because you were blue-eyed instead of brown-eyed. There is no humane reason to tease, abuse or bully someone who is gay. That person may not want to be gay, but that’s the way they were born and they are strong enough to tell anyone that they are gay.

If you know someone who is gay, try talking to them as a normal person if you don’t already, and you’ll realize that they are no different than heterosexual people. They could end up being your best friend. Try to be a good person to all people, especially gays because with the odds stacked against them not being bullied. Make them feel welcome and help create an environment in which gays can feel safe to be themselves and to come out.

Saying things such as “Ha gayyy,” will not do it. The next time you are about to call someone or something “gay,” ask yourself, “Does that really make sense, will I hurt someone by saying it?” If you do this, you will make your community more accepting and healthier than before. And try to get others to follow your lead. Tell them when they could be hurting someones feelings, and alert them if they’re taking something to far.

Suicide in gay and lesbian people is far too real. Don’t let it happen to someone at your school. You never know who could be gay. It could be your best friend, your brother, the person you’re right next to. You don’t want them to commit suicide. A great life is lost every time someone commits suicide, so don’t be the cause of it. Take a stand and be the good friend inside all of us.
If you think one of your friends is depressed enough to commit suicide, turn the information over or call the suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

For many people, being openly gay can be a trouble and can lead to serious depression. As Ray Brown said, that being gay has rendered him almost friendless and with only depression. You do not want to live a life like this, so why don’t you make it a better life for others that are gay, or if you know that you are gay, then help others, be someone they can relate too.

I’m not trying to be someone who tries to prove your religion wrong, I’m just asking you to be a better person by not being mean to another person over something they can’t control. That could be you being bullied.

Together we can make gay people a part of our population and not just their own.