Same Religion, Not Same People | Teen Ink

Same Religion, Not Same People

By Vanessa Gebka BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Vanessa Gebka BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

December 14, 2012 a total of 26 people, twenty kids, between six and seven years old, and six adults, were shot and killed. The man responsible for the death of those people was Adam Lanza. Adam Lanza was a white male. The Huffington Post reported, “If it's possible to determine a motive for the massacre, there may be clues in Adam Lanza's journals, which state police seized from the house and turned over to the FBI for analysis. But authorities say that so far no conclusions have been reached. Sedensky estimated that the investigation will be finished this summer. At the Lanza house, investigators found books about autism and Asperger's syndrome, as well as one with tabbed pages titled ‘Train Your Brain to Get Happy.’ Adam Lanza was said to have been diagnosed with Asperger's, an autism-like disorder that is not associated with violence.”
April, 15 2013, one child and two adults were killed and over 260 were injured in an explosion during the Boston Marathon. The two people responsible for the bombs were Muslim. CNN reported, “One of the dead was an 8-year-old boy, according to a state law enforcement source. Hospitals reported at least 144 people are being treated, with at least 17 of them in critical condition and 25 in serious condition. 3 people were killed. At least eight of the patients are children. At least 10 people injured had limbs amputated, according to a terrorism expert briefed on the investigation. Federal authorities are immediately classifying the bombings as a terrorist attack, but it's not clear whether the origin was domestic or foreign, a federal law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said. Investigators believe the brothers were influenced by the online preaching of Islamic radicals, including Anwar al-Awlaki, Quijano reports. But Ruslan Tsarni, an uncle of the Tsarnaev brothers and Zubeidat's former brother-in-law, said Saturday he believes the mother had a "big-time influence" as her older son increasingly embraced his Muslim faith and decided to quit boxing and school.”

So, lets clear this up. Both Lanza and the Tsarnaev brothers committed terrible crimes. They both killed and injured innocent children and adults. But, one is classified as a terrorist and the other a victim of mental illness. Why?
The FBI reported that there were 157 reported anti-Muslim hate crimes in 2011, down slightly from the 160 recorded in 2010. The 2011 crimes occurred during a period when Islam-bashing propaganda, which initially took off in 2010. The hate crimes still continue today.
The reason that so many people are racist to Muslims is because the government is making them. The way that the news stations and newspapers report crimes that involve Muslims, they make a big deal out of it. Let me ask you, do we know the religion of every white person that commits a crime? No, we don’t. No one seems to care what they believe in. So, why do we care if someone is Muslim? Just because they are Muslim and commit a crime doesn't mean they are apart of a terrorist group, it just means they’re a bad person. I don’t need to know who influenced them to be more passionate about their religion. I don’t need to know that they dropped out of school to be more committed to what they believe in. I do not care; just like I don’t care if someone is a Catholic or a Methodist.
I know a family that is Muslim, and they are the nicest people I have ever met. They have jobs, they go to school, they read books, watch TV, just like everyone else. The only difference is that they are treated differently. After 9/11, the mother of this family was at the hospital waiting to get surgery on her hip. She was wearing her scarf around her head. While she was waiting, a group of people passed by her and spit on her.
She is 100% Puerto Rican. She met her husband and converted to the Muslim faith.
They spit on her only because she was wearing the scarf. They spit on her because she belongs to the same religion as those terrible people that were responsible for 9/11. If that’s what we're doing, we might as well spit on everyone that has brown hair because a murderer has brown hair.
People need to realize that others believe in different things. You can be Christian, Catholic, Atheist, and no one would care. Being Muslim should be a part of that group. People aren't the same. Some do terrible things and some do great things. Just because they are the same religion does not mean they are the same people.

My boyfriend is Muslim. I'm christian. I think it is terrible that people have to go through this type of abuse just because they look a certain way and believe in something else. It needs to stop.