The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword | Teen Ink

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword

By Joe Fersch BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
Joe Fersch BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

The Pen is mightier than the Sword

Individuals view and handle stress different ways than most folks attempt. In English class we read the book The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak. Many events took place such as the Germany bombings, and World War II the main character Liesel was caught in these terrible events also showed us to make tragedies not so scary. A quote from the book that stands out is “The pen is mightier than the sword” meaning to me that finding a way to address stress like Liesel did is better than using violence to solve problems, for example certain individuals will turn to something bad for the person or can cause harm. Ways that most folks view ways to handle stress are mostly close to Liesel for example expressing themselves in writing, which is another was to deal with stress by expressing the topic versus just bottling there problems while setting your problems aside.

First, staying away from violence with ways such as writing is better than causing violence, because violence may possibly hurt someone. In the The Book Thief would always mention Liesel becoming more relaxed, and in a better place when she started writing. I also know many friends look towards something to distress the person at the end of the day for example writing in a journal or talking to a friend about the issue. In my case many of my friends always will turn towards me if they need someone to talk to or hangout with after school, to distress themselves. For example, my best buddy got into a fight with his girlfriend leading to a brake up; I was the first to know about the brake up so I could help him get through the tough time. I believe that having something to turn towards is always a good mine sake, when things turns sour because many folks have something to then take their mind off things when they are overwhelmed. Many Teens look for a certain specific role model or someone along those lines or someone in general that will help those teens away from their problems. Liesel would always look up to her father which would make her write about Hans along with Max because both individuals stood out to her. She was very detailed about her writing always painting mental pictures of adventures she was on.

Next, there are some individuals that view their problems or stress, and will just bottle stress up inside. I believe that bottling there stress is worse because always coming back into your mind when not expressed properly than actually expressing themselves like Liesel. In the activity “The perils of indifference” we did the other day concerning Ellie Wiesel there was a phrase, which stated “1000’s of Jewish people taken ,and killed” the Jewish individuals were token along with killed by the Nazi party, striving for a master race. Ellie Wiesel was an holocaust survivor, who know is telling his story to help explain to people the meaning of indifference. This phrase touched many individuals especially in the Jewish community. I believe this was a high stress amount time, which individuals turned many different ways, and possibly not in the correct direction like Liesel did. Over bottling of stress would be bad for you not like Liesel because she expressed herself in writing along with talking to Rudy one of her close friends. Personally there has to be a way to deal with high attention things like a major war or bombing in a town otherwise individuals become over tense. “Many individuals were also inspired to write some words down on a piece of paper on this date especially me”. This quote was from the famous country music singer Toby Keith talking about the terrorist attacks of September 11th 2001. Major attacks such as September 11th or even dating back into history in Liesel case will cause someone to write some words down on a piece of paper to write what they are thinking.

In conclusion, looking for a way to destress is always something to have for example Liesels writing. Liesel always had a place to visit when she had troubles with something for example her basement. I believe that the pen is mightier than the sword because giving you a better state of mine, while you are relaxed not always having to bottle stress up. Not being able to express your stress properly could lead to violence hence the sword part in “Pen is mightier than the sword”. I believe that writing or another way to unstress is the way to look at the topic. Also having a friend is there with you is a better way to distress after a hard day along with a good hobby never hurt anyone.