Stereotypes on People with Disabilities | Teen Ink

Stereotypes on People with Disabilities

People are not educated about people with disabilities, so they say things because they aren’t comfortable. That then generates opinions, like they can never be in a relationship or that they are abnormal. Most people aren’t aware of disabilities and this is how stereotypes begin. The only way we can help terminate stereotyping people with disabilities is to make a change.

So many people stereotype others who have a disability based on what they think, not what they know. When you look at someone, you are already making an opinionated observation. For example we look at what their hair looks like, what they are wearing and more. It is natural for people to judge. It is not a good thing. When people make observations and judge, it is what they think, not what they know. It is based off of a reaction that we just automatically have. That is where most stereotypes come from. A lot of people are not educated and start coming up with stereotypes such as disabled people are helpless, can never be in a relationship, they are abnormal and more. That is where all stereotypes begin.

An article from the New York times talks about a man named James DePreist. He smart, brave and good hearted like everyone but there is only one thing that makes him different, he has a disability. James DePreist was diagnosed with polio in 1962. He is paralyzed in both of his legs. But that dose not stop him from still conducting an orchestra and doing everything that anyone does. Just because he has a disability, it did not stop him from doing what he loved. People stereotype and say that anyone who is disabled can not do anything. Look at Mr. DePreist he showed everyone that he could. Mr. DePreist died when he was 76, on Friday February 8th, 2013. He never let his disability stop. So tell me, why do we discriminate and stereotype, these are all people?

If we are going to make any difference, as an individual, there are many things that we have to do. To make any drastic change we have to be willing to not stereotype or judge. We need to try and change the way we think. People with disabilities are no different then any of us. We are all humans, trying to survive in this world.

If we take these baby steps it will make a immense difference in the way people perceive one another. Think about the way you would like to be treated. We have to possess the will power to make a change and it stars with you.

Work Cited

"Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People." Top Ten Negative Stereotypes of Disabled People. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Feb. 2013.

Kozinn, Allan. "James DePreist, Pioneering Conductor, Dies at 76." The New York Times. The New York Times, 10 Feb. 2013. Web. 7 Feb. 2013.