Racism: When Is It Going to Expire? | Teen Ink

Racism: When Is It Going to Expire?

By ajl17 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
ajl17 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

N*****. C****. Slant-eye and towel-head. Believe it or not, but these words are used to hurt and attack the minorities of the United States. Racial intolerance is the cause for these hateful words and the cause for people with a different race to feel ashamed of whom they are. Racism is a significant problem because it can negatively affect one’s health and create self-stigmas; it is an intolerance that cannot be ignored.

Although not as many racially motivated crimes are seen today, racism still occurs in more subtle ways, such as negatively impacting one’s health. According to Maya Dominguez McNeilly, a psychologist at Duke University, racist comments made to an individual can lead to the victim having an overworked heart and high blood pressure. She gathered this information by conducting a study where thirty African American women received racist comments given by Caucasian women. The reaction of every one of the African American women was a sharp increase in blood pressure and their hearts pounding. Although this may not seem like much damage as opposed to severe injuries or deaths, McNeilly states that it could lead to serious damage in the long run. In addition, high blood pressure can lead to aggressive behaviors, which could result in more violent crimes. Because more violent crimes may occur due to racism, unsafe environments are created for others as well; racism not only affects one person, but also everyone around that person. The issue of racism needs to be solved. It is a serious problem that racism can even hurt someone's health. No one should have their health at risk because of the color of their skin, something that they did not have any choice of. It is completely wrong for someone to receive such a punishment like so.

Racism not only can greatly affect one’s health, but it can also harm someone mentally. As an Asian American myself, I have encountered many racist situations as well. For instance, in the beginning of my eighth grade year, I remember, and always will, this girl who pulled her eyes back, as if to make herself look Asian. Meanwhile, her friends next to her just stood there laughing like it was a joke. However, the question I have always asked myself is, “How is it a joke when someone is making fun of how you or people of your race look?” At the moment, all I did was stare back. My face was flushed with anger, embarrassment, and hatred. Although I did not say any words, in my mind I was screaming, crying, and wondering what I did to deserve this treatment. I never did anything to this girl, yet she still had the urge to insult my culture and make fun of who I am, both things I cannot change. Before this moment, I was proud of my Chinese heritage; I was never afraid to express my culture. However, after this moment, I felt ashamed and embarrassed for who I was and what I looked like. In fact, I did not even want to make eye contact with anyone in fear of being taunted again. This is what racism can do to someone. It can make someone so proud of where they came from and who they are to not wanting to even show their face. This instance demonstrates that racism does happen and that even someone as young as thirteen can make racist gestures and comments to others. More importantly, it shows how much a single racist action can affect someone.

Although stopping racism can be challenging, it still can be lessened, even by the youth of America and in schools. In most schools there are several clubs, and an effective way to lessen racism would be to start a new club that advocates for racial differences. Members in this club could stand up for those being bullied because of their race and educate the bullies of the impact racist actions can give. By being educated of how racism can affect someone, the students who committed racist actions may learn that racism truly is wrong and stop their bullying. These students will eventually greatly influence younger crowds, thus if they learn that racism really does hurt people, those younger crowds would believe the same thing and would not make racist comments or gestures either. Furthermore, the person being told racist comments may remain proud or become proud of their race, knowing that someone actually supports them and that not everyone feels the same way as the bully. Although it is nearly impossible to diminish all racism, a school club advocating racial differences is a start.

Racism has been an issue for far too long and has hurt too many people along the way. It is time for it to end. It is time for everyone, regardless of what their race is, to feel proud of whom they are and their ethnic backgrounds. There is a reason why we have diversity in our world, and that reason is not to hurt one another.

Works Cited
Health (Time Inc. Health), Oct96, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p24, 2p
Lee, Annabelle. Personal interview. 31 Jan. 2013.