The Thing About Teenagers

Teenagers have gotten a bad rap. People constantly equate teenage years with rebellion and insolence. There is always an adult who scolds our generation. ‘Kids these days,’ they say. ‘So out of control, so disrespectful. Back in my day we never behaved like that.’ With a disappointed shake of the head. And every young person who is within hearing distance shrinks a little bit from embarrassment. But that adult isn’t a person with wisdom; that is a person who has lost touch with what’s it’s like to be young and carefree. That adult has forgotten that those who criticize our generation are the very ones who raised us. Having a little fun never destroyed a generation. Being a little reckless never ruined a future. Being a teenager isn’t something you’ll be forever. You enjoy your teenage years because being young is a wonderful thing. It’s fun and exciting and full of possibilities. A teenager is a sweet sixteen, a driver’s license, a first kiss. A teenager is one of the best parts of life.