The Tattoo Issue | Teen Ink

The Tattoo Issue

By Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other

Cheap, nasty and dirty. These are just a handful of the terms associated with tattoos. Any person thinking of getting a tattoo has more than likely been bombarded with such views as to why getting a tattoo is such a horrific idea. What is all the fuss about? When done properly and designed professionally, tattoos are not harmful or dangerous. So why is it that there is so much controversy about these innocent ink markings on the skin? If I get a tattoo how does that affect anyone else in the world other than myself, by me wanting a tattoo I am not forcing anyone to change their views on it, I am merely expressing my own. We live in a society where we are told that expression is a positive thing and yet we are constantly being informed that tattoos are negative. That is a contradiction. It is as if expression of the self is fine but only in a way which the rest of the world deems acceptable, surely that cannot be true expression if the way in which you can express yourself is being repressed. There are countless arguments about why tattoos are negative and just as many about why they are positive.
It comes down to a difference of opinion. What people do not seem to understand is that opinions are just that, opinions, nothing more and nothing less. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ opinion and much like tattoos, they are personal to the individual and for the majority of the time have nothing to do with anyone else. If I choose to supposedly ‘vandalise’ my body, the only person that I am directly affecting is myself, no one is asking you to look at my tattoos or anyone else’s for that matter. There are worse things that you can do with your body. Ultimately, your body is not a permanent unit of existence; it is temporary similar to how life is. Why is it that people can tell you how to live it when it has little to do with them? Don’t be mistaken, I am not suggesting that the decision to have a tattoo should be taken lightly, as I feel that careful consideration and planning should take place. Once a person is sure, then it really is up to them.
Come on, aren’t there more important things to worry about rather than tattoos? Poverty, disease and war are global issues on a considerably greater scale than the ink that someone has on their skin. To be perfectly honest, I am sick and tired about hearing the tedious complaints about tattoos and all the stereotypes that go hand-in-hand with them. The most overused argument against tattoos is how they can negatively affect your chances of a potential job or career. This argument makes my blood boil to a whole new level. The way you look has no correlation to the person you are. This is a message that the media often conveys however it would seem that there is a different rule in regards to tattoos. If the way you look does not affect your personality or capabilities then why is there a constant battle in terms of those with tattoos when finding a job? Presently, it would seem that the argument of tattoos in relation to obtaining jobs does hold a basis of truth. However, if the prejudice against tattoos ended this would no longer be an issue.
Think about it. If you were ill and needed to be treated by a doctor in a hospital and you had the choice of: a doctor who is fully qualified but has tattoos or an unqualified and ill-experienced doctor who is tattoo-free, who would you choose? The permanent artwork on the doctor’s skin does not affect his ability to treat you and the fact that the second doctor mentioned does not have tattoos does not mean that he will be able to treat you. Essentially, what I am attempting to make people see is that tattoos do not affect who you are as a person or have any impact on your social or professional performance. This being said, why is there still the constant and relentless judgement? Admittedly views have evolved over the years and are becoming more relaxed. More is not enough, this prejudice needs to stop. It seems that for now the judgement is going to thrive in an aesthetically driven world. Principally, appearance has no true value or meaning as we are all equal inside but in spite of this we let this prejudice dominate the forefront of our thinking. What makes us have the right to judge others?
Like I said there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ opinion. This is just mine.

I have seen countless pieces in the media of all different forms about tattoos. I thought it was time for me to have my say.

Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
Many apologies, I have been out of action on this site for a while due to college work. So glad that you liked it and that sounds great! Just drop me a message if you're still interested and sorry once again for the long delay in my response.

KingBodyArt said...
Interesting read I would love it if you could contact me about this article and the Mod World Intl Organization. / Project