Muslim Manifesto | Teen Ink

Muslim Manifesto

By Ramzi El-Ramahi BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois
Ramzi El-Ramahi BRONZE, Oak Lawn, Illinois

Being targeted as the problem of the world based on ignorant notions is what annoys me.

Being “randomly” patted down is what frustrates me.
Getting to my hotel, and without fail, always finding a slip in your bag that it has been “randomly” searched is what upsets me.

“El-Ramahi”. It just screams of a threat, it screams of the insecurities that the world has, it screams of being capable of recreating 9/11.

Not all Muslim’s are terrorists, not all dark skinned men with a beard and wearing a long white tunic are Osama Bin Laden.

We don’t always have 5 or more children; we all don’t degrade our women and see them as lesser beings.

But this doesn’t matter does it? The only detailed view of Muslims people see is of those corrupted minds that have twisted a religion that, in its core, is predicated on peace, fairness, and justice. I can attest to this, I am a Muslim. I have shaped my looks, my style, and my thought process in an attempt to not be judged by the average person on the street.

I fear the looks I see my friends give to Arabic girls walking past with a scarf on.

But I don’t speak up, I don’t argue to change views, I merely sit back and accept that these views won’t change, can’t change.

But that time is over, the time of judging a race of more than 2.2 billion people based on the actions of a few psychopaths. The time for change is now.

The Muslim community yearns to be accepted and respected. We yearn to be able to go out with our sisters, our mothers without feeling uncomfortable that they don’t belong.

However, all Muslims are introverts when it comes to their religion; it’s what makes us incapable of finding leadership positions in our communities.

All we have to blame is ourselves, we do not go out of our way to be accepted, we expect it to be given. The path for acceptance and universal understanding is achievable, as long as we try.

First, we must make out religion accessible for the masses; any question that needs to be asked will be answered.

Second, we must take a page from other races and begin to adapt American culture and mux it with ours to make us look like approachable.

Finally, we must abandon the stereotype that all American’s despise us, this disease is what can stunt our progression.

Now, onto those vile minds that decide to make their fellow Americans feel unwanted in their own country.

It’s time you start filtering out your arrogance and start thinking with an open mind, start tearing down the wall in your mind of prejudging someone you see on the street. View everyone as an American and begin feeling comfortable with the fact that America, whether you like it or not, is filled with every type of person this world has to offer.

Be the person who puts his foot in front of the revolving door of hatred that resides in America, be the one who makes someone feel accepted.

Done for ENGL 160

coco28 said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:38 pm
I understand your point of view and why you would feel this way.

livisan SILVER said...
on Sep. 25 2012 at 6:37 pm
livisan SILVER, Miami, Florida

Bad spellers Untie!

Great article!!!